Is this mix any good?

Cool song man! I think the mix is ok.. I think it should be brighter overall..it would be better if it opened up a bit more.. I don't know if its mastered already but it needs to be brighter in general IMO! :)

cheers

Cool song man! I think the mix is ok.. I think it should be brighter overall..it would be better if it opened up a bit more.. I don't know if its mastered already but it needs to be brighter in general IMO! :)

cheers
Thanks for listening. My first mix of this was way too harsh/bright. I'm in anti-brightness mode right now. What in particular is it that sounds too dull or needs to brighten up?

IMO, the entire song doesn't need to be brighter. However, at times I felt the toms needed to be brighter. However, at times I felt the cymbals could have been less bright. The song as a whole does need a bit more presence, but overall brightness I don't feel is the answer. Perhaps, mastering is what it needs. As far as just the mix goes though, it's quite nice. I wouldn't exaclty call myself a professional by any means, so please take this advice as simply my opinion.

IMO, the entire song doesn't need to be brighter. However, at times I felt the toms needed to be brighter. However, at times I felt the cymbals could have been less bright. The song as a whole does need a bit more presence, but overall brightness I don't feel is the answer. Perhaps, mastering is what it needs. As far as just the mix goes though, it's quite nice. I wouldn't exaclty call myself a professional by any means, so please take this advice as simply my opinion.
Thanks for listening. New mix posted. More kick, more snare, less hats and cymbals, a little reverb touching the entire mix.

Agree with jimmy. Kick was better sounding in the first mix. I think the vocals need a little more presence. But just a little. The overall composition is very nice! Also as BryanMoore has mentioned, the toms could do with some brightening too. I'd say so does the snare, but again, just a little.

Liked the kick on the first mix better, though it was quiet. Seems a bit ringy now.

Dig the song man. :)

Agree with jimmy. Kick was better sounding in the first mix. I think the vocals need a little more presence. But just a little. The overall composition is very nice! Also as BryanMoore has mentioned, the toms could do with some brightening too. I'd say so does the snare, but again, just a little.

Thank you. You both were right. I liked the kick in the first one better too. So I went back to that kick, fixed the toms (thanks for pointing that out, they were terrible), made the snare a bit brighter and louder, and brought the lead vox out front more. Newest mix posted up top- final mix, I hope.

Nice! I love the kick now. It all sounds much more alive. There does seem to be a bit of 'pumping' tho. Ease off on the 2buss compressor, or whatever you have going there.

Good work man! I will be putting the song in my library. :)

I've only listened to revision 2.

It's a lot pop country for my taste. This mix is pretty solid. The backing vocals sound off to me, like they've got a phasing LPF on them or something. They're really bassy compared to the lead vox, but it seems to fluctuate.

p.s. The fact that you've started posting new tracks again at about the same time as Zero00 does nothing but reinforce my misconception that you're the same person!

Nice! I love the kick now. It all sounds much more alive. There does seem to be a bit of 'pumping' tho. Ease off on the 2buss compressor, or whatever you have going there.

Good work man! I will be putting the song in my library. :)

I've only listened to revision 2.

It's a lot pop country for my taste. This mix is pretty solid. The backing vocals sound off to me, like they've got a phasing LPF on them or something. They're really bassy compared to the lead vox, but it seems to fluctuate.

p.s. The fact that you've started posting new tracks again at about the same time as Zero00 does nothing but reinforce my misconception that you're the same person!
Thanks for taking the time to help out. Lots of good feedback helped the mix. Sometimes with mixing you eventually lose all objectivity, and it really helps to have fresh ears. The needle was barely moving on the 2-buss comp. Less than 2dB compression. Yes, the b'u vox have a LPF, because I wanted them to sound further away, but I think the movement you're hearing is a very long reverb. I think they're naturally more bassy since in parts it's all male vs. the lead vox which is female, no? Anyway, I'm a lot happier with this mix than when I started. Thanks again.

Sorry I haven't read much of what others said. But the second mix is ALOT better. First one is wayy to muddy.
All that bothers me after the second mix is the vocals aren't cutting through, and are getting buried at most parts.

Sorry I haven't read much of what others said. But the second mix is ALOT better. First one is wayy to muddy.
All that bothers me after the second mix is the vocals aren't cutting through, and are getting buried at most parts.
Yes, the third mix is the one I attempted to bring the vocals more forward. Thanks for the feedback.

Your mix is very good - the male vocal (lead) is too low in pitch and sounds out of place in the song (and bassy). I'm not sure how I would rectify that - or if it's possible. Compressor maybe will get the level up but it's got a crappy tone...at least it's in key...lol Thanks for sharing!

Your mix is very good - the male vocal (lead) is too low in pitch and sounds out of place in the song (and bassy). I'm not sure how I would rectify that - or if it's possible. Compressor maybe will get the level up but it's got a crappy tone...at least it's in key...lol Thanks for sharing!
Yeah, I agree about the guys voice. A little annoying. Thanks for the feedback.

The very 1st syllable is lost - may be the recording.
The drums are a little too up front for me but I'm not much with modern country.
Solids mix otherwise.

The very 1st syllable is lost - may be the recording.
The drums are a little too up front for me but I'm not much with modern country.
Solids mix otherwise.
Thanks Ray. I'm no expert at mixing country music (or any music for that matter) either. Just trying to improve as a mixer.

Back