Is this clipping?

SKYflyer

Ok, so we recently recorded some drum tracks, and on the drum overhead track, there are certain times, always when there is a cymbal hit, that my friend thinks that some clipping occurs. I think that it is not clipping, and instead it is the sound of the stick hitting the cymbal. My meters show that the drums dont go above 0.0, so that is at least a good sign. Anyways, who is right, me or my friend?

Here are some clips of the cymbal hits where he thinks it is clipping. This is the raw overhead mic track.

SKYflyer said:
Ok, so we recently recorded some drum tracks, and on the drum overhead track, there are certain times, always when there is a cymbal hit, that my friend thinks that some clipping occurs. I think that it is not clipping, and instead it is the sound of the stick hitting the cymbal. My meters show that the drums dont go above 0.0, so that is at least a good sign. Anyways, who is right, me or my friend?

Here are some clips of the cymbal hits where he thinks it is clipping. This is the raw overhead mic track.

doesn't sound clipped to me.

TravisinFlorida said:
is he hearing the clipping during playback or while you're tracking? maybe his headphones are breaking up.

Yep - I'll bet you're right! Headphones or the headphone amp is the more likely suspect IMHO.

TravisinFlorida said:
is he hearing the clipping during playback or while you're tracking? maybe his headphones are breaking up.
I don't think so, because he has listened to it next to me while I was also listening to it, and I thought it was just stick hits, but he kept saying it was clipping.

Well, I'm pleased to see the responses all agree with me, hehe.

I agree that it is the sticks. I don't hear any clipping.

One note though, I don't know your signal chain, but sometimes you can clip your mic pre and not the wave form if you are not watching your levels.

Ok, and so... What if it is? Or if it isn't.
Now to the question. Do you keep it? Is it useable or not?
;)
Wayne

Back