is this a good start for a track??? This song is called "Head" by Jake Holman

jameslondon69

is this a good start for a track??? This song is called "Head" by Jake Holman

http://www.box.net/shared/8a6e9bc1ru

Is this a good start? Are the vox too loud?

Plan on adding more layers if you guys think this is a decent starting point. Original tune by Jake Holman. (also my cubemate at well known marketing co. ;)) Gotta love Sundays.

Thanks!
James

Last edited:
Yes the vocals are too loud. Interesting sound - I like it. Turn down the vocal track.

<full disclosure> Listening on crappy pc speakers </full disclosure>

I think the vocals are fine at this level for this type of song, but I think the guitar needs some tweaking. It sounds very narrow / mono. It would sound great with more of a stereo spread.

I liked the singer's voice. I don't think the vocals are too loud relative to the other tracks.

Everything has a distant sound to it. The vocal especially has a bad room sound to it.

So should you start add other tracks to this? Sure, why not? You're probably going to need to retrack what's here, but you might as well start learning how to record other instruments as well.

The vocals need a bit of EQ, they come off a bit harsh in some parts. I agree with Dog, make the guitar a bit bigger and warmer. If you could make the bass more prominent in the mix it would go a long way. The bass needs to be more in your face without becoming boomy. I really liked some of the changes you made during the song, it rounded out the song nicely. Most songs nowadays seem very repetitive but you combated it well by breaking things up a bit. There's nothing worse then a repetitive song without any dynamic changes, ear fatigue sets in almost immediately.

Great job.

Back