Is This a Good Mic Set Up?

Jude2010

i heard that if i keep my mic as close to a corner as possible it'll remove any unwanted reverb?

well i thought if i added a carpet/rug to that corner and some foam it'll stop sound waves bouncing back into the mic

well basically as you can see from the picture as i sing into the mic, in theory the soundwaves should go through the foam, removing most of the sound waves ( i hope ),
and if any does manage to pass through, the carpet will kind of muffle up the sound. stopping it from bouncing back?

is this a good idea of completely rediculous haha?

if so where can i set mt mic to stop any unwanted echo, revertb etc
not that i get too much .. just so i can get better quality recordings

Attachments

• IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0105.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 46
It's an interesting idea, but the kind of foam you're using is probably not going to have the best effect. That standard "egg crate" foam doesn't really work on a great range of higher frequencies. Also, the thing to watch out for in a corner is what that might do with your bass, and neither that foam nor the carpet is going to even begin to touch that aspect of it.

But the real proof is in the pudding. Only you can tell us how that setup sounds for you. If it works, t works. If not, then no. ;)

G.

I tried something similar in an untreated room once (a little carpet still counts as untreated...). As soon as I got loud, there was this low-mid-range frequency that started bouncing around the room. Having the microphone in the corner (and close to two walls) just picked it up even more.

I eventually moved out to the middle of the room, opened the door, and faced my loud vocals out the door. It was still an untreated room, so it never sounded great. But it was better than the corner for me.

Listen to Glen. Try a few different spots and take a good listen.

Yeah I got it with my mic so beggars can't be chosers ha
But I actually think it helps
If I remove the stuff my voice sounds basically louder and if I could see my soundwaves I'm guessing they would be bouncing all over the place
Im hoping o buy proper foam soon

Thanks for the feedback anyway

You're facing the corner?!?

Maybe you should try turning around...

Broadband traps - You don't need "proper foam" (foam is generally the last thing you need if you don't have the low end under control).

Back