Is this a good idea?

AcidRain

Ok, I don't want to start one of those which-mic-do-I-need threads (you guys are probably sick of those), but I just thought I'd run this by you...

I need to mic the following:
-electric guitar (both distorted and clean, distorted may hit very high volumes)
-a baby grand piano
-electric bass
-probably vocals
-trumpet
-possibly sax

Will an SM57 be able to cover all of those? (that's what I'm considering right now) Will I run into any problems with this?

57 on a piano is not going to get you a very detailed sound. The other sources would probably work well, though I like condensors on vocals much better than dynamics.

Get a 57 (amp, saxophone), a pair of 603s (piano), a v67 (trumpet, vocals), an ART Tube MP (Bass DI) and you'll be set. That should only cost you around $350. Another option might be to get a 57, a SP B1, and Tube MP, but then you wouldn't be able to stereo mic.

Okay, I've already got a Behringer mic pre, and $300-$350 sounds a tad steep to me. One of the reasons I'm somewhat drawn to the 57 is the price... Blue Bear, how well would that 421 cover each of those areas? Is it a good all-purpose mic?

And thank you all for your responses.

AcidRain said:
do I need to be doing stereo recordings?
Well, no. You don't have to do anything. But I don't know why you wouldn't want to.
Two mics on a single source will give you a true stereo image. One mic on a single source will give you a mono image.
If you copy that mono recording to another track and pan left and right, you still don't have a stereo image, you have "dual mono". It's not the same thing, and in my opinion, doesn't sound as pleasing.

Michael Jones said:
Well, no. You don't have to do anything. But I don't know why you wouldn't want to.
Two mics on a single source will give you a true stereo image. One mic on a single source will give you a mono image.
If you copy that mono recording to another track and pan left and right, you still don't have a stereo image, you have "dual mono". It's not the same thing, and in my opinion, doesn't sound as pleasing.

You obviously know more about this than I do. Would a "stereo image" sound better on a piano than a mono one?

AcidRain said:
You obviously know more about this than I do. Would a "stereo image" sound better on a piano than a mono one?
Yes.
To me, its sounds fuller, richer, and more natural.
A piano, particularly a grand piano, is one of the MOST difficult instruments to record well.
Mic position is critical, and phase problems abound. There is no single solution to getting a good recording from one. Every piano, and every room is different, and they each pose their own set of unique challenges.
To me, a pair of quality SD condensers driven by a nice pre amp are essential for capturing that ever elusive "essence of piano".

AcidRain said:
Ok, thank you very much. One last question: how well would the 603s hold up for distorted electric guitar?
I dunno. Distorted guitars are.... way out of my realm of limited knowledge.

i am a mono guy myself. i think stereo pianos sound nice alone, but i find it easier in general to get a nice mix with mono instruments.

[note that i am not much of mixer, so i am giving you advice from an old newbie to a new newbie.]

trust me, when you build up stereo tracks that sound nice soloed-they have this way of not piling up well in the mix. and they all sound weaker... other people can make it sound nice, but i cant..

i think the big problem with only using one mic (especially the 57) is that it has a big sonic footprint. mind you a nice one- at least i think so. but again, in the mix... all your tracks are going to have that sonic footprint. and you are going to be fighting that....

oh one more thing about pianos in mono- since they are a very physically "big" instrument, it is hard for a single mic to accurately capture the whole thing consistantly. use an omni.. and stick it closest to where the important notes are...

oh and get that SP b1

eeldip said:
i am a mono guy myself. i think stereo pianos sound nice alone, but i find it easier in general to get a nice mix with mono instruments.

[note that i am not much of mixer, so i am giving you advice from an old newbie to a new newbie.]

trust me, when you build up stereo tracks that sound nice soloed-they have this way of not piling up well in the mix. and they all sound weaker... other people can make it sound nice, but i cant..

i think the big problem with only using one mic (especially the 57) is that it has a big sonic footprint. mind you a nice one- at least i think so. but again, in the mix... all your tracks are going to have that sonic footprint. and you are going to be fighting that....

oh one more thing about pianos in mono- since they are a very physically "big" instrument, it is hard for a single mic to accurately capture the whole thing consistantly. use an omni.. and stick it closest to where the important notes are...

oh and get that SP b1
eeldip - In my findings, the problem you speak of with stereo tracks "piling up in the mix" is due in large part to budget mic pre's. A good quality pre will remedy a lot of those problems.

An omni mic on a grand piano can be made to sound nice (I have a recording here using the ecm8000's: http://artists2.iuma.com/site-bin/streammp3.m3u?286662)
However an omni microphone is, by its very design, going to pick up a LOT of the room sound. Consequently, a well balanced and well treated room is essential for that type of recording.
Additionally, you use the term "important notes", and I think I know what you mean, but I will take exception to that and say that, as a composer, I think all of the notes are "important". ;)

Back