Is there such a thing as an affordable Strat?

Prism

I'm a beginning guitarist. I look through catalogs and I see Fender Stratocasters. I look at old pictures of the Beach Boys and Buddy Holly and other greats, and I drool when I see their Strats. I want one. I look at the prices. They are a lot. I am a poor cheapskate. Should I just look around? eBay? Maybe I should just settle for a stupid cheap taiwanese fake. :p

Isaiah

Don't buy a cheap guitar. It will end up costing you more money in the long run. Buy a great guitar.
When you spend money on a great guitar, it's an investment.

signed,
hixmix (a musician cursed with the soul of a ruthless businessman)

I'll trust that even a used Strat will stand the test of time? 'Cause my heart is set on owning a good ol' Fender. :D

Isaiah

Hmm...I was hoping for more in the $200-$300 range. If I had $700 to spend, I'd rather save it for a nice Martin acoustic.

Isaiah

Watch for a Cort or Archer strat body and mex fender neck on ebay. That's a $200 strat! Just kiddin'!
I haven't played the G&L's, but they sure are sexy. But with all due respect, to me it's like old motorsickles, in that the new stuff is cleaner design wise, technologicaly advanced, and invariably more dependable. But something's missing. Authenticity perhaps. Just doesn't feel right. Psych isn't tangible, but just try convincing the heart that the brain is on track!
Anyway Prism, in a blind taste test, you might find a $300 Mexican standard set up by a good tech makes you feel as good as a $1000 Stevie Ray.

And Hix is right about a cheapie. It'll sound like hell. And you, being a new player will think it's just you!
Good Luck.

Don't buy cheapy starters. I went through three pieces of crap when I started (~ 1978) before getting fed up and saving for a Les Paul.

I hear the Mex Strats are pretty good. I have a fine used Jap Strat which I paid $350 US for. That said, since you're a beginner I'd suggest staying away from ebay unless you have someone experienced to help you screen the good from the bad. My recommendation, given your comments, would be to look into a new Mex Strat at your local shop.

The great thing about strats...

Is that there are a million of them out there. When I got it in my head to get a strat, I went down the the local guitarporium, and just started playing them. I played at least a dozen, and one of them spoke to me more than the rest. I ended up with an SRV model.

I suggest you do the same. Just take a couple of hours, head down to the store and play them all if possible. Don't check prices until you have it narrowed down to a couple. Then when you are selecting "the one", you'll feel good about your choice.

Prism said:
I'll trust that even a used Strat will stand the test of time? 'Cause my heart is set on owning a good ol' Fender.

I've been buying and selling quality guitars - 95%-plus Fenders and Gibsons - off and on for over thirty years and playing for forty, so what I say may have some authority. I don't have any romantic or emotional issues about axes: They're just hardware and investment stock, nothing more...ever. I have my personal preferences like everyone else, but for me it's always about the bottom line: How does it play, sound and (above all) resell?

Be warned, if you have a bunch of poetic and emotional involvement in guitars and view them as holy objects you'll always be pissed off by what I say, so you can leave now and save yourself some elevated blood pressure.

My take is that Strats are not all that. Fenders are basically cheap, primitive, first-generation guitars that got expensive. They don't even have the set necks that one would reasonably expect in a $200 import and the workmanship is inconsistent and rarely as good as on some Indonesian cheapy. I've never really cared for them. My current personal Strat is a near-mint, 100%-original, two-owner L-Series currently appraised at $10K-$12K:

http://www.netcolony.com/image.cgi?url=/arts/epizeuxis/strat1.jpg

(Those are greasy pawprints, not scratches!)

My take is that it was a decent value at the $100 I paid for it in 1971, but it's not much of a guitar, _qua_ guitar. Not then, not now, not _ever_. It makes some neat noises once you struggle to get the pickups adjusted where they work at all - and these pickups are the bitches of all time to get right - and it plays so-so, but it's just a cheap guitar. Same for every Strat I ever played. If it wasn't for the accident of the mid-position switch pickup phase thing, I really wonder what would have become of the Strat.

To make matters worse, Mexican Strats are sandbagged right out of the gate: Fender supplies them with pickups that are inferior to the real Strat pickups and otherwise stack the deck so that however crappy US Fenders are, they'll always be better than the best Mexican Strat.

Modifying or "upgrading" guitars is anathema to me as a former dealer-collector. It's always good money after bad come resale time and by the time you get a Mexican Strat "upgraded" to US Strat sound, you've dropped about as much money (which you'll never get back) as you would have to have gotten a very nice used US Strat, which is my suggestion. Shop hard and ruthlessly. Buy a good original axe cheap and leave it alone except to play it. Don't screw it up by "upgrading" it.

Still, for all this, I have a Strat myself and play it once in a while. I also have a 2000 American Standard Telecaster I bought new a few months ago for $429 w/case, because it was a deal and I thought I needed a Telecaster after not having one for a few decades. It's OK, though by no means a great example of the luthier's art.

It's sort of expected of a pro musician that he have some recognized classic axes in the toolbox, and I certainly do, but the guitars I _play_ are new imports like the top-of-the-line DeArmonds. No cachet, but as guitars they're superior to any of my Fenders or Gibsons.

I'd look for second hand japanese Strats, if you want Fenders. They are just as good as the american Strats, but since they are not "the real thing" they are not as expensive.

For example, check out
this one. Not only is it Japanese, but it has a floyd rose, and a humbucker. This of course makes it much more flexible than an ordinary strat, AND it also lowers the second hand value... Yeah, I know, guitarist are a weird breed.

When I checked out Ebay, I was hoping to find a guitar like this, so I got lucky, because a friend of min has one just like that (but with another color). And its a good guitar. It still has 4-5 days left on ebay, so the price will rise. If it goes for $200 it's one heck of a deal, thats for sure!

Closing in an hour is this one, going for $360, and its a '62 reissue fender, so it's more traditional. However, this US made 62 reissue is currently on $650. Thats probably an indication of what the price difference is between US made and Jap made.

Laugh all you want- at least try a Squire

I share the attitude of bongolation but disagree on his opinions. I wonder sometimes how often all the old school guys try the newer stuff. Squiers of the last few years are light years ahead of where they were.

I have a $200 Squier Strat. Pickups probably don't sound like more expensive ones, but I really can't say they sound bad. I asked the best guitarist I know- and I mean this guy has been playing a long time and can play anything, gigs all the damn time and to make a long story short, knows his shit- to check it out and see what he thinks. Before playing it he said 'looks pretty good, but these pickups always suck'. When he heard it he had to admit they sounded good (with the exception of the bridge, which few people other than myself ever like anyway)

I had a luthier even out the frets. They weren't bad actually, just wanted to see how good it could get and only cost me $35. I've played enough guitars in shops to know a well 'playing' guitar and I would say you wouldn't immediately notice the difference from the expensive ones.

I haven't been playing forever, haven't played a million of 'em; but I've played alot of goods ones and alot of crap and can't see a good reason to buy another one.

I tried forever to find a cheap Les Paul type guitar and never was happy. Finally had to fork over for an expensive but reasonable Guild Bluesbird. I only tell you this to emphasize that I'm willing to pay for what I want, but all I want is quality, not romance.

Thanks for all the replies, guys...

Bongolation - Your post seemed very wise, but somehow I feel like I have missed any obvious conclusions or suggestions. (Maybe that's because I've been awake for 20 hours and have had an insane day)
Is there anything in specific which you would recommend? I think everyone has at least 1 or 2 brands that they hate. Mine is Peavey. Anything with "Peavey" on the label is automatically dismissed as worthless trash in my mind. :D
What are some trashy brands to avoid? Being new, I will tend to ask some very naive questions, but I'll consider anyone's opinions and test them for myself.

Thanks again,
Isaiah

Prism said:
Thanks for all the replies, guys...

Bongolation - Your post seemed very wise, but somehow I feel like I have missed any obvious conclusions or suggestions.

Here it is again:

======================================
...by the time you get a Mexican Strat "upgraded" to US Strat sound, you've dropped about as much money (which you'll never get back) as you would have to have gotten a very nice used US Strat, which is my suggestion. Shop hard and ruthlessly. Buy a good original axe cheap and leave it alone except to play it. Don't screw it up by "upgrading" it.
=======================================

Pretty plain!

Heh...thanks. Like I said, I've been up a while and my brain isn't paying very good attention. :p

Isaiah

Mi brane nevr payz dat grate ov attention..>.;...,..

I think everyone has at least 1 or 2 brands that they hate. Mine is Peavey. Anything with "Peavey" on the label is automatically dismissed as worthless trash in my mind. :D
What are some trashy brands to avoid?
Hehe, Mine has always been Fender. :eek:

If I were you I would seriously consider looking into an Ibanez, even their cheaper ($200) models have a really nice feel and sound to them; the GAX70 ($199) is very nice and I haven't played it but the GSA60 ($199) "looks" good in the MF mag. and since you like the strats check out the GRX40Z ($189) and the GRX20Z ($169).

I have a De Armond M-65c which I like quite a bit, a Lyon (?) by Washburn (which was a Christmas gift from my grandpa) which also isn't bad, and yes even a pathetic Rogue strat (but I'm not even gonna go there :p). But since I've never played guitar in a band (my main instrument is drums), I've never had any need to buy a really nice expensive guitar (or even a real amp for that matter). :D

So what I would suggest is just get something cheap ($200 will still get you a fairly decent guitar too) and start playing as soon as you can rather than waiting and saving up for a more expensive guitar, (that's just time you'll be loosing that you could have been learning/playing) because believe me it will be you and NOT the guitar when you're first starting out, :D then you can upgrade as you get better. And even when you do upgrade, you will always have your other "practice guitars" around when you don't want to get out and run the risk of scratching your $2,000+ Paul Reed Smith.

Ok, I've rambled on enough here.......

Good luck, (and don't get the Fender) :p

:D :D :D :D

-tkr

Re: Mi brane nevr payz dat grate ov attention..>.;...,..

Tekker said:
So what I would suggest is just get something cheap ($200 will still get you a fairly decent guitar too) and start playing as soon as you can rather than waiting and saving up for a more expensive guitar, (that's just time you'll be loosing that you could have been learning/playing) because believe me it will be you and NOT the guitar when you're first starting out

No shit. I don't understand all these posts about spending the money now and you won't regret it. WTF? You stated that you are a "newbie." Thus, how would you even know what YOU are looking for in a guitar. What pickup configuration do you want? Since you like strats, probably triple single coil. What kind of wood for a fretboard? For the body? You probably won't get much of an opinion about specifics until after you have played for a while. Why spend too much on a guitar when you aren't familiar with the nuances to make an informed decision? You don't have to get a piece of shit. Just don't break the bank on your first one.

Back