is there anyone here who DOESN'T use ANY HARDWARE 'BEAT MACHINE' at all to compose??

crosstudio said:
damn you aint kiddin', and the original poster has a 0 (zero) post count.

wait a minute!!!, Man, you haven't blessed the board in a while. It's really nice to see you are still doing your thing crosstudio.

hey

I use FL6, Sonar, and Reason, and for years I used FL without any hardware but melodies sound much more natrual when you tap them out on MIDI controller than when you click em in the pianoroll... How do i attatch files so that you guys can hear the single one of my artist just recorded?

mentalattica said:
I think it's all preference and price range. I prefer hardware just because I very rarely use midi, I'm probably gonna catch hell for this but I think the MPC's are overrated. I never had the desire to use one even after playing with my boys MPC for a few days. But to each his own. There's nothing wrong with software, I also have Reason 3.0 and use it every now and then. A lot of people say "I don't use software because everyone with Reason has the same sounds..." That's true! But so does everyone who has a Triton! It's all about how you manipulate sounds and find new samples to use.

Yeah, I always think that's funny! What about pianists? Does Bethovan sound too much like Mozart because he has the same sounds on his piano? Same with guitar - does Hendrix sound like Slash? If you're good you can come up with something new and fresh!

Mahem said:
I use FL6, Sonar, and Reason, and for years I used FL without any hardware but melodies sound much more natrual when you tap them out on MIDI controller than when you click em in the pianoroll... How do i attatch files so that you guys can hear the single one of my artist just recorded?

you have to have it upload on a server and paste the link in your post. you can try myspace.com, soundclick.com, nowhereradio.com.....

Here's my advice

I think that people say that certian musicians sound the same when they use certian software because they are using the same loops, and samples that came with it. (If you use it, its probably a thousand other cats that picked the same exact one) Its a lot smarter to use the patches and tweak them to your own personal tastes to make your own sound and melodies. And always be on the look-out for new ones.

Reason 3.0 user here. All software... But I like to add harware in the mix at times.

It's all about what works for you and the end result. And find what works for you. For example I started out using analog multitracks to record. Gave you a different feel. It was much harder to use, but we got the job done...

I'm mostly software now a days. Going from using the MPC 2kxl and keyboards, to being all in the box with Reason/Pro Tools was an easy and efficient transition b/c I'm young and understand computers I guess. The digital and analog sound IS different though, my ears know the difference but there are ways around it, as well as the "swing" of most hardware that many people claim software can't do. In my eyes, everything is a tool, it's what you do with it not what people "say" that it can do that matters.

Levinin said:
Yeah, I always think that's funny! What about pianists? Does Bethovan sound too much like Mozart because he has the same sounds on his piano? Same with guitar - does Hendrix sound like Slash? If you're good you can come up with something new and fresh!

Good point, that's when personal style can give something a new flavour if it's spewed up properly ( or differently)

Software beaters

I use Cubase to sequence and Stylus RMX for my grooves..anyone use Stylus RMX..it is very very nice.

orrn77 said:
I use Cubase to sequence and Stylus RMX for my grooves..anyone use Stylus RMX..it is very very nice.

You talkin 'bout exhuming a topic..............

It's a good one though~

My crew and I use a MPC2500 and reason seperate and sometimes together~~

Dug it up from the grave but oh well...

Reason 3. That's it. I can plug in any wav drum sound I want into my software kit. Screw hardware that (in most cases, and not including the MPC series) is EXTREMELY limited.

:D damn topic be coming back from the grave...LOL

I stick to my Hardware EMU XL-7 Command Station, AKAI DPS16 Multitrack Recorder..

i only use software (Adobe Audition, Wavelab and some plug-ins) for Mixing and edits..

all software here. i used a keyboard once to MIDI some synth sounds, but then went into piano roll in FL to perfect it anyways.

Man, when it comes to making beats, it all comes down to the person making the beat. I can make beats on FL Studio that sounds just as good as beats made on "professional" equipment. For a minute tho, i've been sticking to my Triton Le and Roland Jv-35. I kinda like making beats this way a little bit better. I'll still kill FL Studio any day tho. And Reason is a beast!!

All my beats are 110% Fruity Loops XXL 7.0 Producer Edition.

No hardware whatsoever.

ALL of it, is done in FL Studio.

The only hardware I do use, is my Samson C01U USB Condensor Microphone, for recording vocals. But it's hard to record vocals with just software, ;) ;).

I don't have very "hot" or "Hype" beats, but, that's all I use is Software, don't plan to get any hardware anytime soon. Unless I'm uber rich. HA.. guess I aint gettin any.

--Re-Lapse

Back