Is there any way to mount a condense mic on a wall?

Gaffer's tape. :D

But seriously... I'm not sure why you'd want to do that. The reflections off the wall would be a b*tch for recording purposes.

That said, if you really, really, really want to do it, invest in a gooseneck mount and a short gooseneck. They're designed to mount to the tops of tables/podia, but screwing one to a wall isn't really any different than screwing it to a table except that you'll need longer screws if you hit a stud and wall anchors if you don't.

Mounting base:
http://accessories.musiciansfriend....421335&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26028251

Gooseneck:
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-G18-Gooseneck?sku=270205

These were just the first two I found. I didn't do any price comparisons between models or vendors, and I'm not making any statement about product quality or anything else.

I use cheap desktop flanges and attach them to the ceiling...and use flexable gooseneck mic stand extensions...this saved me alot of money on stands and Ill never knock over a stand and dammage a good mic that way.

My overheads and vocal mics are done this way.

You can get the gooseneck and the flange cheaper at your RadioShack.

Last edited:
how close to the wall are you going to be??? If you are too close, comb filtering is going to become an issue. If you are in a small room and going to sing from the same spot everytime, maybe you should drop it from the ceiling instead.....I mean if you just HAVE to have it mounted somewhere...

I use cheap desktop flanges and attach them to the ceiling...and use flexable gooseneck mic stand extensions...this saved me alot of money on stands and Ill never knock over a stand and dammage a good mic that way.

That's a DAMN good idea !

Put some foam between the mic and the wall.

Anykind of foam

-or-

the foam pieces made especially for microphones...
like from Auralex...

This what I do. My booth is a bit small, so this works well for my OH and Vocals. (Not at the same time mind you)

and yet another idea

done in many studios I have used.
mount it on the ceiling on one of those extendable stand thingies mentioned earlier in the thread.

Does away with wall reflection problems, too.

Wow, that's actually a really good idea. It looks nice too.

That ceiling is pretty low--and the desk flange works perfect for that. If you have higher ceilings, the desk flange and goose-neck/booms won't work as well, I don't think--at least it didn't work for me. I just found an alternative, allowing me to mount the actual mike stand to the ceiling. I went to Lowe's (Home Depot would have it, too) and in plumbing I found a floor flange -- 3/4". Mind you, it doesn't match the threads, so you can't screw it in. But what I found was that you can stick the stand right through the opening, then take the hand-nut (most mike stands have a washer-like hand-nut that tightens against the top of the base) and screw it on, allowing it to hang from the flange. Of course, there is a chance through time that the hand-nut could loosen and things could fall on your head, but I managed to tighten the darn things by turning the stands once they were mounted.

As you can see from the pictures, it's pretty handy. My room is small - 8' x 10', so having these suckers hanging from the ceiling really is nice. The ShinyBox is now able to mike the amps, or even come down and mike an acoustic while I'm sitting in a chair. The C1 I've got hanging down to record a snare and hi-hat and anything else I want in "that" corner. I like the idea so much, that I replaced the cheap table mike arm I got on ebay with the set-up for my CS5 on my "console" table for stand-up vocals. You'll note to the right of of the CS5 is another ceiling mount stand which will be for my new ACM900 tube ribbon that arrives...on Wednesday! It's kind of hard to tell, but just to the left of the CS5, and down, I used one of the Radio Shack desk flanges to side-mount a pair of Cascade M39's from the front of my "console" table for sit-down stereo miking of acoustic instruments.

I should add that I was lucky in that this rooom, which had been part of our garage, had been "remodeled" at one point in the 70's which included the rather intricate weaving of those 1x3"s, which made it easy for me to mount to the "ceiling."

Attachments

• DSCN0004.jpg
    DSCN0004.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN0006.jpg
    DSCN0006.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN0005.jpg
    DSCN0005.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN0007.jpg
    DSCN0007.jpg