Is there any use for that Black Board insulation?

scottboyher

The kind that goes on the outside of the house under the siding.. Kind of like Celotex .. Maybe its even called celotex..

It's heavy and when you cut it.. it is like fuzz... I was offered a couple sheets but didn't take them.. It may be to dense..

Any use for them as traps?

If I'm thinking of what you are, I don't think it would do much, the stuff is stiff and has metallisized paper backing.

Yes. As insulation. As to acoustical properties..compared to other products with equivilent thickness I would say no, but the real proof would be to check the products test results for absorption coefficients. However, there are quite a few companys that make a "black board" insulation, and they may use different materials. I just checked one on the net...Knaff makes a black board made with fiberglass. This is a totally different product...so whos to say. As far as celotex is concerned...I'd leave it. Just bite the bullet and get Ownens Corning 703 or 705, or a mineral wool product such as Rockwool. And get it as thick as you can afford. Remember, Cellotex is only 1/2" thick. Even if it has excellent absorption coefficients, it will ONLY absorb high frequencies, as 1/4 wavelength principles dictate.
fitZ

Back