Is there any reason not to use Ableton Live?

geneticfunk

I've used Ableton Live, and I love it. But I've heard of people tracking their Ableton tracks into Protools or Logic for mastering.

Is there any reason for doing this, other than simply liking Protools and Logic's exclusive plugins? Is there some mastering feature other than exclusive plugins that Protools or Logic has that Ableton doesn't?

I know that Ableton doesn't have surround mixing, but I'm not interested in that.

Thanks, any help would be much appreciated

there's no reason to not use ableton
one good reason to use it is that you can use reason with it.

I read somewhere that some people think that mixes sound a bit flat in ableton. Supposedly this may have to do with the fact that ableton only does 64 bit summing, where other DAWs perform all calculations at 64 bit. Is this true?

it's great, but very unstable. I was using it for live performances, but got sick of it hiccuping all the time, so switched over to Logic 8 and it works a bit better...don't get any hiccups. Granted, it's a very interesting way for working, which should definitely be just fine for production. It uses vst AND au plugs on the mac which is nice and I wish logic did that (they used to run vsts). It just depends on your needs. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Ableton really, I LOVE the Logic plugs tho... Logic is def. the best bang for your buck DAW out there now (the plugins are fantastic, and it's a very in depth program that sounds great)

Back