Is there a way to do this?

digitcallous

If I have a stereo WAV file, is there software that will take that WAV file and separate it out into two WAV files, one for each of the left and right channels?

Thanks.

DC

Wavelab will do that - but it's an awful expensive piece of software if that's all you want it for. Sonar will do it as well, but again the same problem.

C7's approach would be a lot cheaper.

What recording or editing software are you using now? Are you sure it doesn't have this feature?

Thanks for the help.

To clarify a little, I want to be able to separate the stereo WAV file into 2 mono WAV files, one being the left channel WAV and one being the right channel WAV.

Will CoolEdit be able to write out a mono file of just one of the stereo tracks? If it can, then my problem can be solved.

Thanks again.

DC

In Cool Edit, you're looking for a "convert" option from the edit menu (I think... it's been a while!).

What you should find is an option to convert from Stereo to Mono, and in that it'll ask you if you want to discard one channel or mix the two channels.

Discard the left channel, do a "Save As" as right.wav, then
Discard the right channel, do a "Save As" as left.wav.

bingo - two mono files.

if you get totally stuck, post again and I'll re-load Cool Edit and find the exact sequence of commands for you.

- housepig

What you want to do is convert a file from 'Stereo Interlaced' to 'non Interlaced' or is it "Interleaved". It's one of those terms. It shouldn't be too hard on most audio programs.

Back