Is there a way to delay certain frequencies...

Carbona

....Once something has already been mixed? I've got songs mixed, but I don't have the original recordings, and I want to add a little delay in the vocal range without delaying the highs and lows...is this possible?

Carbona said:
....Once something has already been mixed? I've got songs mixed, but I don't have the original recordings, and I want to add a little delay in the vocal range without delaying the highs and lows...is this possible?

The Izotope Ozone plugin has a section where you can add a slight delay to certain freq. ranges s - but I am not sure if it's the kind of delay you are looking for.

- Chris

You can bring it into a multitrack setup, duplicate the track, and run one through some eq to cut out all but the frequencies you want, then put a delay after that eq filter, probably set all to wet, and mix that in with the original track.

Might be somewhat useful.

Yup, I tried that way, but couldn't get the vocals to sound any better than a bad phone connection...it basically just added static to the mix.

Hopefully you are aware of this, but delay on a whole mix, even in just certain frequency ranges, certainly won't make the vocals stand out. Dyanmic EQ'ing is waht you should be looking into, or multiband compression paired up with a decent parametric EQ. Delaying any frequencies will also highly affect other instruments. Typically it would just muck up the instruments which in turn would take attention away from the vocals.

That's going to be a tough one.

You could spend many hours with a signal generator, maybe a vocoder and some delay and artificially reproduce the vocal frequencies you're after, then whack the lot into a multi-tracker and get mixing. Weird though.

Back