is there a small mixer capable of...

diogo

hello everyone...

i need some help here...im looking for a small, inexpensive mixer that will allow me to:

1. take at least 2 line ins from a recorder..

2. has 2 aux sends (i need to plug a verb unit and a compressor to it)

3. has a volume knob for monitors (not just headphones)

4. has two line outs in the form of 1/4 jack or rca that will allow me to take the signal out of it into a 2 track recorder (tape or cd) without having to use the mixer's monitor outs

5. i would also like the hability to route 4 signals into one going out (like: record a drum set with 4 mics, and blend those signals together into one mono track) if this even exists..i would like this hability but i also need the one explained on point 4.

6. i want it to have no effects whatsoever, but if you guys recomend those alesis ones, so be it..

7. preamps dont really matter (i will only use them if i ever have to mic a drum kit), i will only use the circuit, not the pres..all my preamps are external, and they go into the recorder first, then that signal goes into the mixer for "mastering" (if i can even call it that) purpose.

8. faders would be great, but really not essential..i guess.

ive never used a mixer before so i really dunno what im going into and what exactly do i need, or if this even exists for that matter..ive been looking at the yamaha mg series, but the one with 2 ax sends is a bit too big and has way more channels than what i need. the compact series from soundcraft are also interesting, as are the alesis...but idd rather really let you guys decide for me as this is probably very obvious to everyone, but not for me since ive never used one. I really just want it for the circuit quality, eq quality, and features, not preamp quality or anything like that (so i guess that scratches behringer in a second :rolleyes: ).

tanx in advance guys.

diogo said:
2. has 2 aux sends (i need to plug a verb unit and a compressor to it)
Not sure about the rest of it, but this caught my eye:
You don't wanna put you compressor on an Aux Send!

Guido, tanx for the reply...dang, im happy u told me that, but why not? i thought compression could be used like a normal fx...and as ill be using 2 tracks on the mixer for a 2 track mixdown to the recorder or tape or cd, i thought that would be a good way to affect the signal right there...

can u please elaborate? when it comes to compression im a bit in the dark here..tanx a lot!

Compression, like EQ, is a dynamic "effect".
You want the ENTIRE signal to be effected. Unlike, say, reverb, which you would only want a portion of the signal effected... the amount of which would be mixed with the non effected signal via the Aux Send

...You would want to use the INSERT for dynamic effects.
The entire signal passes out of the mixer, thru the effect and back into the mixer.
You gonna look at it and say, "but there's only one jack! WTF?"
Inserts send and receive via a stereo jack, using a Y cable. One side is send, the other is return.

Sure you do! :) Its done all the time on drum sub-mixs.

That's a pretty tall order for a compact mixer. It may be out there, but you're not going to have very many choices, depending on your budget. How much are you looking to spend?

-Chris

Well, sure.
I'm talking as a general rule of thumb to someone who has "never used a mixer before"
No need to complicate things

Guido,

tanx for the explanation...so i guess ill have to add inserts on the line ins to my needs...i understand now, tanx. im thinking of an RNC.

well my budget would be something like 150 euros tops...i know this pretty much limits my options a lot...but its what i can justify..my experience is only in the recorder side of things..i have a korg D-1200 and started out with a fostex MR8, also worked extensively with a Roland Vs 8 track..one of the old ones. Im now looking to downgrade from the Korg into something like the tascam dp-01cd ... i just wanna go simpler and learn my way around a mixer cause its something ive been wanting to do for a while now...i find that the korg, despite sounding too good to be true, is just overkill for my needs, wich is basically writing my own demos.

so you guys can help me out, here's what i plan on doing with the mixer:

basically, im looking to record whatever tracks i need, having it playing back on the recorder, dump those tracks into the small mixer out of the monitor outs of the recorder, monitor that signal through the mixer and add the external fx and compression, then at the same time have the mixer playing the stuff into the spare tracks (2) that i left open. Basically make the recorder feed the mixer, and being fed by it at the same time, recording that signal into 2 spare tracks on the recorder, while playing it back at the same time.

does this make sense? i really want the small mixer to be like a final mixdown thing...something that will take my two tracks (stereo mix from the recorder), have fx and compression and eq applied to it, then sending it out into the recorder, or tape recorder again, while monitoring the whole thing through the mixer into my active set of monitors...

i was just looking at the soundcraft compact 4...and it seems there's a lot of turntable connectivity right there...and kind of kills my second intention of being able to plug 4 mics into it to record a drum kit if i ever feel the need...so scratch that one right there..

does this help a bit?

most defenetly.. ;)

tanx for the sugestion!

i just noticed that the mg10 has inserts..so, cool..

i just dont want my signal to get shreded going through it, and that sounds like something behringer would be good for :/

if the yamaha specs out more or less like the description i have in the first post, then im going for it...i really need to monitor the signal to my monitors, and use a main stereo out at the same time..and by the posts ive been reading here, im really not sure if thats possible..

Last edited:
hey Willis :)

thats a good sugestion..but they go for a lot in europe...maybe if i get lucky on ebay...

I'd just be a tad hesitant to recommend a digital mixer like that to a newbie. I've used those b4 and they were a PITA to get around. IMO, some small analog mixer will be more intuitive.
Just my opinion....

guido #2 said:
I'd just be a tad hesitant to recommend a digital mixer like that to a newbie. I've used those b4 and they were a PITA to get around. IMO, some small analog mixer will be more intuitive.
Just my opinion....

You may be right. The first mixer I ever owned was a tm-d1000 though. With half a brain and a bit of persistence it might be worth it.

hey guys,

its really ok. I might have not explained myself that well. I have some experience with mixers (i have a korg D1200 and have worked extensively with a roland VS 8 track - if u guys have played with siabs before, you know that working around its mixers is a bit confusing to say the least, but i manage). I understand the concept and i know my way around them, thats ok really...what i meant is i never used a mixer (like a standalone one) before. I dont think i would have trouble with the tascam mixer, but fact of the matter is, its really big, and in europe they go for a lot..ive actually asked this auction seller if he shipped to europe, and the answer was negative..Despite all of this, i would really prefer a simple mixer, and a very small one, i hardly have space for my recorder as things are now, let alone a heavy duty mixer :( Im now looking at another option. I want a Porta somewhere in time, i always hear Reel saying that the mixer section alone is worth it so...im gonna give it a try..if some porta has inserts so i can use the compressor, then i think ill go for it.

thanks again!

Back