is there a replacement tape

triple

for quantegy 456...i have a tascam 38 8 track that is set up for 456 and i've only got 4 reels of the stuff left...from what i understand RMGI is the only tape available??? if so, what kind would i get to work with my tascam if it's setup for quantegy 456...thanks for any help

thanks Ghost, i appreciate your help...i know this is a stupid question but, will i have to re-bias the 38 for the sm911 tape or is it pretty much the same as 456...thanks again for the help mate

Bias compliant.

No recalibration required.

The only issue to watch for is if your heads and guide posts are worn appreciably down from a previous tape which may have a very slight difference in it's width compared to SM911. If that's the case, the guide posts will need to be rotated to an unused arc of the posts and the heads may need to be re-lapped. If the wear on your deck's tape path is minimal, then there's nothing at all to worry about.

The benefit of SM911 though is worth the effort because it is said to have better high frequency retention compared to 456, which loosed a bit of its top end response after a short period of time.

Cheers! :)

Back