Is there a reason why LD condenser mics always mounted upside down?

Centropolis

This is totally newbie question but I've always wondered so I am asking it here.

A lot of pictures of someone recording vocals have the LDC mounted upside down? Is there a particular reason for this? I have always use my NT1A with the plug pointing towards the floor?!

Yeah, 2 reasons- one old. one practical. In the good old days, diaphragms were made of PVC, not mylar like most mics today, and all condensers had tubes in them, which produced heat. They wanted the diaphragm below the tube so the rising heat wouldn't deform or damage the diaphragm. Now. mostly folks just do it to look like everybody else, so they'll look like they know what they are doing. The practical reason- it makes it easier for the vocalist/session musician to see the words/music on the music stand, because *they don't know the song*. You can put your Rode up either way without a problem, or even any modern tube mic.-Richie

This is totally newbie question but I've always wondered so I am asking it here.

A lot of pictures of someone recording vocals have the LDC mounted upside down? Is there a particular reason for this? I have always use my NT1A with the plug pointing towards the floor?!

There are a number of reasons:

1 It looks cool (probably the most important reason)

2 Upside means that stand and cable are out of the way of a music stand (if used).

3 Any number of more esoteric reasons such as the heat from the circuitry in the canister rising and not interfering with the diaphragm.

For me, it's 50:50 depending on what I'm doing. For example, when I'm recording sitting at the computer, it is often head up when I do a vocal, then I just grab the boom and twist it down and around to record a guitar.

Thanks for the information guys!

I am going home to flip my NT1A upside down to make me look more professional tonight! ;)

I do it to keep the cable out of the way of the guitar.
That and single malt doesn't come with dust covers. :D

when you have it on a stand it's in the way and it can pick up noise from the singer's feet
Frank_Sinatra_U47.jpg

Also, when you spit on it (assuming you don't have a good pop filter in place), the drool drips off, instead of INTO the mic. :eek:

Back