is there a real difference between stage monitors and standard speakers?

pchorman

other than shape?

What I'm asking is, are stage monitors for live use any different than mains as far as optimum listening distance goes? I understand that some studio monitors are supposedly designed as near-field radiators. I'm trying to understand whether floor monitors are also optimized for close-in listening, and physically how this is done (the design differences).

I recently purchased floor wedge monitors which can supposedly serve as mains, which is the rationale behind my question. If there's any focusing that goes on with the radiation pattern then their ability to serve as main speakers is actually compromised, right? I am familiar with how electromagnetic energy is focused and radiated from directional antennas (transverse emag waves), but is the same thing done for longitudinal sound pressure waves?

Thanks for any insight you can offer on this subject. I would be happy with simple commentary on whether these wedges (Yamaha s12me) are just as useful for sound projection if they weren't designed as floor monitors.

I think floor wedges are shaped like that for convenience.(I have seen expensive,high end stage monitors that are shaped like a conventional speaker cabinet and placed on a stand that leans them back.)
In small budget live PA speakers*,I don't think the analogy with near-field studio monitors has any bearing.
[*In larger PA systems,there are definitely cabinet and horn designs that throw the sound farther.But those designs wouldn't be used for stage wedges.]
Let's make sure we compare apples with other apples.Take the same woofer and hi-freq horn out of a small wedge and into a bigger cabinet for mains,and you'll get a bit more bass response and and probably a bit more efficiency.But in my limited experience,the throw of the sound has little to no difference.
The bass response could be an issue if you want to run bass guitar and kick drum into your PA.
I've used EV monitors as mains,when I was doing a solo act where the "stage" was often a corner of the restaurant or small bar that you had to squeeze into.I mounted them on stands and placed them a little behind me,and my monitors were my mains.They worked fine.
One odd thing that I've noticed over the years,though.If possible,mount them with the horns on top.Up close,they sound a lot better that way.

Yes, unfortunately (or fortunately in your case), most manufacturers don't put that much thought into it. Size and shape are the primary differentiators between mains and monitors. Theoretically one could tailor the directivity and response for monitoring purposes and even the particular instrument being monitored – but most don't even come close to approaching that kind of sophistication.

There are a few techniques, but horns are by far the primary method used for focusing acoustic energy. The closest electromagnetic analogs are the waveguides used in microwave transmission. The best and most notable example I can think of is the horn antenna used by Wilson and Penzias when they discovered the cosmic background radiation from the Big Bang. http://www.bell-labs.com/project/feature/archives/cosmology/

barefoot

I haven't seen too many floor wedges that were big enough for PA mains. They might work for coffee house gigs but I wouldn't use 10-12" wedges for mains on a 300+seat rock show.

I always thought it was a bit odd that the typical floor wedge had the horn mounted perpendicular to the stage, as if maximum up/down dispersion was desirable. Probably just to make it more compact, plus they get to use existing parts.

just to clarify, we're using 2-way 12" wedges as mains for the first time this week. the places we'll be playing are typically within 100 - 200 person capacity, and these speakers will be strictly for vocals (female lead). sound better?

mixsit said:
I always thought it was a bit odd that the typical floor wedge had the horn mounted perpendicular to the stage, as if maximum up/down dispersion was desirable. Probably just to make it more compact, plus they get to use existing parts.

It's not so much to maximize "up & down", it's to minimize the horizontal angle. If you are creating multiple monitor mixes on stage, you would just as soon keep each monitor projecting at a relatively narrow angle of dispersion, so the musician next to you is hearing mostly his/her mix, not yours.

TexRoadkill said:
I haven't seen too many floor wedges that were big enough for PA mains. They might work for coffee house gigs but I wouldn't use 10-12" wedges for mains on a 300+seat rock show.

I think it's safe to assume this question was aimed at the typical 2-way (12" + horn, or 15" + horn) speakers that are sold as part of small "club" systems. These would include designs like the EV SX100 or SX300, or the JBL EONS. These cabinets often include adapters to convert them from poll mounted "mains" to floor wedges.

It would be pretty weird to try it with EV X-Arrays, JBL VerTecs or similar line array models!:p

so what's the general feeling about using the 12" two-ways for vocals only in small to medium sized clubs? adequate? PA is 300W + 300W in main / monitor configuration.

pchorman said:
so what's the general feeling about using the 12" two-ways for vocals only in small to medium sized clubs? adequate? PA is 300W + 300W in main / monitor configuration.

Is that 300W per side or total for the mains? 300 total will be pushing it.

There's as much of a difference in the range of quality (and price) in small two-way PA speakers as there is in microphones or any other gear.

Like anything else, try to listen before you buy.

Back