Is there a mixing app where I can post a guitar track, then invite a bassplayer

arcadeko

Illuminatius Overlordious
to add a bass track, and a drummer add a drum track and then mix it all down into a song.

Emailing WAV files is too one-way and slow - I want a collaborative system

does this exists?

i think you can make a public or shared folder in dropbox, and have everyone upload the files (doesn't really save time, but it would be more accessible than email)

alternatively, you could just render the files as mp3 until all the tracks are recorded and ready for mixing...

to add a bass track, and a drummer add a drum track and then mix it all down into a song.

Emailing WAV files is too one-way and slow - I want a collaborative system

does this exists?

I collab a ton. Just what you are talking about. We use dropbox, folders and the dropbox client. Everyone uses their own daw, whatever software they want. As long as everyone imports the seed track and exports exactly from the same spot it works fine. The collaborative stuff that's out there just isn't that good.

I just keep a working cubase project and drop in the tracks as they show up in the dropbox folder. The overhead is minimal and doesn't bother me as I'm generally working on my next track while waiting for another.

It's even a bit more involved for what we do as everyone live videos there performances to - then one guy does the mix, syncs all the video and posts to youtube.

AhhhhHa! I thought there might be something out there like that - I'm gonna check that out post haste :D

Thanks KC

Just a bit of feedback on this:

Although it does technically work - there are some drawbacks that make it unusable - at least for me and my buddies: It's beta, It's pretty flaky, it's unfamiliar to everyone involved, it's pretty limited. At some point everyone involved would have to pay for it in order to be legal. I think it has promise, but everyone I do stuff with seems to prefer the idea of working with the tools they already have.

The only real issue with using the tools you already have is sorting out the workflow. Stay organized and it's a snap. I routinely collaborate with 2, 3, 4, 5 and more people on projects and we get entire songs done in hours - including video.

I'd be happy to work through a project with you, show you my workflow and share some docs I wrote up with you some time. I like your stuff - you and that KC guy :-)

Yeah im not dure id use it for full projects...i found it stuttering at 30 tracks but for small stuff i dont see the problem..i think its going to end up $180 for a lifetime of use, but they need to make it more stable. At the moments its free as its still in beta

Yeah im not dure id use it for full projects...i found it stuttering at 30 tracks but for small stuff i dont see the problem..i think its going to end up $180 for a lifetime of use, but they need to make it more stable. At the moments its free as its still in beta

I think it is cool too - I'm not totally bagging on it - and I hope it has a great future, but I'm too comfortable with my workflow and ui in cubase to switch to another app just to collab. Honestly for me the dropbox folder with desktop syncing app is just sooooo easy. Everyone knows the drill and keeps their exports from logic, pro-tools, garage-band, whatever time aligned with the seed track. When a file arrives in the folder I add it to my project. When I'm done with my part I right click export to the folder.

Yeah i use dropbox too for stuff...i reckon OHM has a few versions to go to be an all in one solution but its the future i think

you must spead some rep around before giving it to chuck duffy again.
Quote of the week there Chuck

you must spead some rep around before giving it to chuck duffy again.
Quote of the week there Chuck

Thanks man, I appreciate it. It helps balance out the negative rep I got from someone else for paying someone a compliment lol.

Kompoz.com is a great website where you post your song, and then invite users of the website to collaborate by adding other tracks to the song.
really worth checking out there are lots of great musicians with good recording skills on there.

Back