Is there a better Firewire Hard Drive than this?? (PPA)

undermind

Hello,

I've been planning on getting this hard drive. It's the 250g Oxford 922 firewire 800 drive. These drives are made by Pacific Pro Audio, and they're pretty much the standard up here in the Seattle/PNW area.

They use Seagate drives almost exclusively. I'm not a HD expert, so I'm asking here to make sure I'm getting the most bang for the buck. I see that you can get a little better price on a Seagate external like this from Newegg, but I'm not sure what the difference is. I'm figuring that PPA uses a case with theirs and the drive itself is an internal. Is the case where the Oxford 922 chipset comes from? Or is that part of the drive itself? I noticed the Seagate external has a 16mb cache vs a 8mb cache from PPA, but I imagine the Oxford chipset is much more important.

Lastly, just wanted to get an opinion on size. The drive needs to hold roughly 15 songs recorded at 96k, about 12-18 tracks a piece. The drive will strictly be used for this. What size should I get? Thanks

IMO the only real important difference between drives is the warrenty... Seagate usually has a 5 year plan... not knowing the warrenty situation on the PPA... it's probably OEM and therefore the disk probably has no seagate wannenty but one though PPA for whatever it is.

personally I would buy a drive enclosure and put a retail internal drive into it... enclosures are cheap and _when_ the drive failes you can collect the warrently on the disk.

...as to size of the disk... 40GB should do... more the merrier

Back