is the Yamaha AW16G really that hard to use?

diogo

hello everyone,

im considering either a tascam DP-01 or save up for the AW16G...but im afraid it might be really hard to use...some ppl say its hard, others not quite, but i really need some fresh input, as i dont have anything to record in, and i would need to make a decision fast...

i know the sound quality is great in it...but im really concerned about ease of use...korg is supposed to be really logic, roland hard as hell...ive heard ppl say that yamaha is so hard that they make a buck out of intructional dvds and whatnot....but im set on it...either that or the tascam unit, wich is kind of a toy, but im sure beats the crap out of the fostex MR8 i just sold!

anyway,
any help is very much apreciated.

tanx!

ps. while we're at it...how would u guys rate the pres in the yamaha unit, against something like a DMP3 for example?

Hi. I have one and I didn't think it was very difficult to get the basic recordings down. However there are alot of features that aren't quite intuitive. There is a great user board at http://forum.dijonstock.com/ that can get you through the rough spots.

PS The pres aren't so great, especially with dynamic mics. I have a DMP3 myself.

My wife has taken over mine and has had little trouble learning it. If you have any trouble just post here. There is about 10 active members that own the aw16g.

fellas,

many tanx for the help...

i have some more questions then...

how are the fx in it? up par with something like a TC M300?
im only interested in reverbs and delays, i have no use for the rest of the stuff there (amp simulations, etc)..

if not up par with tc and lexicon low end units, can it have an outboard unit hooked up to it?

also,
it has a 40GB disk now right?

can it write on cdrw's?

many tanx!

Hi Diogo. As a G-owner for more than two years, I agree with my colleagues here that this unit is definitely not very hard to use. The forum mentioned above has some wonderful instructions, written by users, that quickly cover the basics of recording on the G. If you run into a problem or two along the way, the members at that forum are particularly patient and helpful with new folks.

The G was my first step into the digital realm, after more than 20 years of tape-based home recording. I allowed about a month to experiment witn my G while reading the manual and laying down sample tracks. Even with no prior knowledge of DAWs, I seldom had any type of frustration at all, and after a couple of months, my fingers were flying across the G without thinking. The lesson here: just don't rush at first. Take a few weeks at first to read the manual and the quick-start instructions mentioned above, and get to know the G's layout. When you realize that you'll have years of use with a killer machine, a few weeks of learning at the start is nothing at all. In fact, I really enjoyed this learning process, taking an hour a night to have some fun.

Other thoughts:

* the G comes with a 20 GB hard drive, but Yamaha informs us that it can hold a 60 GB if needed.

* yes, it can write on any type of CD media, including
CDRWs.

* I find the dynamics processing (on all channels) to be very useable. I'm not as excited about the amp modeling and guitar FX, so I use other units for these.

Be sure to check out some of the many mag reviews during the past two years. The most in-depth I've seen was in SOS mag, and it's available for free online.

Personally, I couldn't be happier with the G for my home system. It's easy to use, sounds great, and comes with a very helpful support group, if needed. And I've had no crashes in more than two years of daily use. If you search a bit, you'll find that most G-users are like me--quick to praise this little gem.

Good luck, whatever you decide~

J.

jeff,

great post! tanx a lot...im pretty sold on the AW16G, but it wont be till xmas or something..i have to make a decison fast, wether to chip for a tascam DP-01 or save up for the yamaha..im gonna get the tascam cheap from ebay and see what it can do for me..but come xmas a G it is..

many tanx fellas.

My 2 cents..

The Yamaha AW16G was the first DAW I ever bought (~Sept. 2003). Prior to owning it, I had never tried any kind of home recording. I'd say it took me a couple of weeks to figure out the jist of it. Like others said, there are forums out there with helpful users that can answer many questions that you may have. The one I used most was www.aw16g.com. It appears to be up and running again. If you want to hear what I was able to do with this unit, you can hear some of my bands songs at www.myspace.com/thenonoboys

All the songs were recorded, mixed and mastered on the G.

All in all, if you have a few hours a day and enjoy tinkering with new gear, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Adios!

Derrick

Derrick, the site you listed was the original site from two years ago. When it went down a while back, nearly all of the members and information moved to the newer site: http://forum.dijonstock.com/

From what I've seen, the old site is like a ghost town that you can roam around in from time to time while the lonely wind whistles through. I was there a while back and it was pretty spooky.

J.

Back