Is the MXL V67M Studio Microphone good for Live performances?

bluesbro

Hi all,
Is the MXL V67M Studio Microphone good for Live performances?
I have no clue when it comes to mics. I have only used shure 58 & 57's. Is this mic much better than the shure for live music?

If the V67m is not good live, what mic would you use live?
Under $200.
Thanks
John

My hunch is that the V67 would be very prone to feedback in live use. It is also a more fragile mic. I'd keep it in the studio and use your Shures for live work. I use a Beta 57 live and love it. Its got a hot signal and very good feedback rejection, so I can crank the monitor up and actually hear it. I like the Beta 58 too, as well as the regular SM58.

Thanks crawdad
I will keep the mics in the studio. I want to record the whole band live. However, I'm not too happy with the shure mics. They sound good, but I want the vocals a little more dynamic.
I guess feedback is the deciding factor.
Any suggestions on a good live/recording mic that is not feedback prone?

For a step up from the SM's you could try the Sennheiser dynamics. The 421? I think is the right model. The Shure Beta series is also a step up.

Avoid condensors for live vocals. You would need a pop filter and they are just too sensitive unless you are doing a quiet acoustic combo.

Quite some time ago I wanted more than I was getting from my 57's for live work and went with an EV BK-1 condenser. Since then I've been using a Beta 57 for five years or so and like it a lot. In trying to find something to do with it, I've used my AKG C1000s now and then and it's not bad. It needs the windscreen and is more sensitive to plosives and feedback but it does sound better. Still I'd go with a dynamic mic over a condenser for live use.

You don't specify, but I'll assume you mean for live vocals. I would also think the V67 may give you feedback problems. In addition, being a condensor mic, it will cause you bleed problems. Lastly, you would need phantom power on you board (although most boards now have phantom power it is not a given).

Now the V67 may have a good application for drum overheads (as long as the drum monitor feed doesn't include the overheads).

For vocals - use the 58's. They have been a standard for years. They are dependable and they can take a whole lotta abuse.

If you want to use some v67's for recording the band in a live room mix setting, they should do the job well - as long as some drunken dancer doesn't knock them down.

Thanks All,
I have the SM's, everyone likes the beta's. I'll give them a try. My local store will give me some loaners for demo.
I think the store carries EV, the others I"ll keep an eye out for.
The price of the v67's is tempting. Maybe I'll get 2 for acoustic work.
Are they really that fragile? One drop and curse words to follow.

I have seen my Beta 57 fall to the tile floor several times due to drunk customers, and it suffered no damage. The Shures are rugged. You could drive nails with 'em, probably (but don't!). LD condensers of any kind, with their microscopic and sensitive diaphragms would probably not fare as well as my Beta 57 has!

The other cool thing about the Beta 57 is that it has a pop filter in the screen, which makes it better for vocals than the stock SM57. Not to bash the SM57, cause its a great mike. In fact, I used to shop my song demos in Nashville and all the vocals were recorded using the ol' 57. People were always asking me what kind of mic I used. I'd laugh and tell them the 57. They were always surprised!

Back