Is the Marshall AVT 150 worth it?

mayonaise33

I have searched the forms and most people aren't too hot on the AVT series, however I have about 650 to spend on an amp and dont really know what other good options there are.... I was looking at the AVT 150... This amp will mainly be used for recording, so I dont really need a loud one

I mainly play hard rock, like Soundgarden.... also allot of new wave clean stuff.. Kinda like The Smashing Pumpkins 1979

I have tried this amp and it sounded pretty good with the 4 channels, but should i go with an all tube one? But I hear you have to crank the volume and that is not very conveinient for me...

O ya I have a reissue 1970's Fender strat....

Any insight would be helpfull.......

a great amp in that price range is the vox ac15cc. perfect volume for recording and jamming with a drummer. its a different flavor than a marshall but it sounds great dirty or clean.

i got both of mine at north coast music and i count be happier.

my other amp is a marshall 1974x so i know good marshall tone:)

Does this amp have a thick distortion in it or do you need a pedal

I see that it only has one channel, I kinda want an amp that has both in it and not rely on pedals

thanks for the info though

its a pretty sweet distortion but not thick high gain if thats what youre asking. imagine a baby cranked up vox30

i just turn the volume down when i want a cleaner tone

I have a AVT50 that I played with my last Rock band and the overdrive channel was all I ever needed, Hell its a Marshall!! With the 50 watt output I could drive it and not blow everyones ears out, then mic it thru the PA. Having 150 watts might be a different story though. The MG series dont have a chance against the AVT by the way-IMO.

Ok I havn't heard the AVT series but I've recentley got my taste for tubes and I'm not looking back.

I have a laney Vc-30 and I love it for clean, If you stick a pedal infront of It I'm sure you'll get a great dirty.

ALso the peavy valve-king 112 (you wan't a combo?) is one to look at I believe someone on this forum got one not long ago and is very pleased.

Here's advice from someone who has both an AVT 150 and a 1960's Fender Bassman Dual Rectifier (4x10)......I like both. The Bassman obviously sounds great, and I'd pick it for a live show alot of the time, but I use my AVT 150 for quite often as well. The acoustic simulator is worthless, but the other three channels are great. I actually brought home a few tube amps when I bought it, and I thought it was more versatile than them and sounded better than a few of them as well.

I say get the AVT 150 and you won't be disappointed....If you want to get a tube amp in that range, I say get a used Fender Twin Reverb, those are great amps and are in that range used...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1977-Fender-Twi...408920203QQcategoryZ38074QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mid-70s-Fender-...409297042QQcategoryZ38074QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck, and I could do a recording of mine if you want, i don't know if that would really help you because so much of the sound would be my recording chain and settings and all...

I have been around plenty avt's and I must say I havent been impressed at all. I'd say your best bet would be to try to get a real tube amp off ebay. If you dont want to have to "crank" it to get good tone, dont get a high watt amp, and then you can "crank" it and it will be at the desired volume, or at least close.

Back