Is the Behringer EX2200 Dualfex Pro like a BBE Sonic Maximzer

no, the early Behringer exiters were copies of the Aphex, and Behringer got sued for that (or maybe just for using the name exiter). So they had to change the design (and the name) somewhat, but the basic principle is similar. It creates new harmonics by upper range distortion. In fact, the Behringer has more options than the Original. I've got an Ultrafex 3100, and it works great. I use it for my drum machine mostly. It also sounds good on voices. I hardly ever use the surround feature, though.

The BBE works by a different principle. For all I know it "enhances" the overtones in the signal, but unlike the Aphex design it can't create overtones that are not already present in the signal.

The newer Behringer Ultrafexes can do both: "exite" and "enhance", but I don't think the enhancer section sounds the same as on a BBE.

The dualfex is the even-lower-cost version of the ultrafex, just like the autocom is the even-lower-cost version of the composer.

I personally never go for the cheaper model. The "full" versions are inexpensive already.

Back