Is Tape Still Manufactured?

Dan Lail

Hi, I am new to the forum and have been hibernating for several years :-) Is Reel to Reel tape sill being made? I have mucho hours of recorded tracks from about ten years ago. When I put them on the TSR-8 they were suffering from "sticky sheding" syndrome. I have found out about baking them and am preparing to transfer the important material to my hard drive, then back it up.

What do you record tracks on in your home these days and do I interface my old outboard gear with the new way. My outboard gear consists of an; Alesis 1622 board and a variety of Alesis digital gear along with a Yamaha Compressor and an Alesis Drum Machine: confused:

Out of the hollow log Dan, Thanks. :o

Thanks for the links! My question is, will these new tapes develop Sticky Shed Syndrome? Have you used the RMGI tape? What does a 2500' reel of 1/2 inch tape cost these days?

Analog is my choice. I would rather not go digital if I can find tape that will not degrade.

Changing the subject, how do I add a saying that will appear at the bottom of the page on all my posts automatically? I have searched until I am blue in the face with no luck.

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited:
will these new tapes develop Sticky Shed Syndrome? Have you used the RMGI tape? What does a 2500' reel of 1/2 inch tape cost these days?

Hey Dan,

The RMGI tapes have stable binders (perfected by BASF / EMTEC) and will not develop sticky shed, unlike many USA made backcoated tapes, such as Ampex, made around the mid 70's and into the late 80's and early 90's. RMGI is basically the same quality stuff as the superior BASF / EMTEC formulations. The only thing that changed is the name. Yes, I have used RMGI.

If you mean the prices for brand new RMGI, then a 1/2" tape cost anywhere between 45 and 60 bucks, depends if you wanna get the pancake or metal (aluminum) reel version.

The silly thing is that Quantegy, formerly Ampex but with stable binders, is still being offered on eBay, as new old stock, for the same amount of money (and sometimes more) than good, fresh RMGI stock.

Changing the subject, how do I add a saying that will appear at the bottom of the page on all my posts automatically? I have searched until I am blue in the face with no luck.

Thanks,

Dan

In your user Control Panel, named User CP in the top, left hand corner of the screen, you'll have options to add a signature to the bottom of your posts but you must check the option box in that section to show them as well and anyone who doesn't check that option in their User CP panel will not see yours or anyone else's.

I have signatures turned off in mine because I find them annoying and slow the pages from loading when on dial-up.

Cheers! :)

So the RMGI tape is superior and will not shed. This is very cool news! I am so set up to work with analog and really do not want to create on a computer. I guess I'll have get baking(oink, oink). Is the Nesco American Harvest FD-50 Dehydrater a good way to bake tapes?

So the RMGI tape is superior and will not shed. This is very cool news! I am so set up to work with analog and really do not want to create on a computer. I guess I'll have get baking(oink, oink). Is the Nesco American Harvest FD-50 Dehydrater a good way to bake tapes?

Yup!

I use a Nesco FD-30, which is a similar but slightly less expensive model and it does the trick quite nicely.

As to RMGI tapes never shedding, only time will tell...so far, they seem to be a decent product from what I have read from other users. I still have a cache of Quantegy to go through before I give them a try.

Cheers! :)

Thanks for all the excellent info everyone. I think I have it figured out now; dehydrator; new RMG EMTEC SM911 tape; Clean transport; Start mixing. One more thing. Can you still buy new 10" x 1/2" reels or is it off to Ebay?

Thanks for all the excellent info everyone. I think I have it figured out now; dehydrator; new RMG EMTEC SM911 tape; Clean transport; Start mixing. One more thing. Can you still buy new 10" x 1/2" reels or is it off to Ebay?

Back