Is ProTools a Dirty Word Here?

This BBS was started in 1999, before PT was really within the reach of those doing home recording. The site administrator (Dragon) doesn't come around much any more, so I doubt you'll see any major changes to the forum setup antyime soon.

And, we hate ProFools cuz we're not pros. :p :D

What I find funny is the people who think they are using the real ProTools when they are using the the Digi001 or the Digi002 or the MBox. I had someone a while back who owned one of those Digidesign pieces try to tell that his "ProTools" blows away my Delta1010+Sonar setup...fool. :rolleyes:

Thanks,
jawgee

Protools...works great for me. There are forums devoted solely to pro-tools...protoolsforum.com and duc.digidesign.com to name a couple.

I honestly think the bulk of people who bitch about simply haven't used it.

However you look at it, its the same as cars or anything else...they all do the same thing, but people will always praise their choice and dick on the other guy.

Dirty word? No. Invitation to an argument? Yes. I use Pro Tools LE/Digi002 and rather like it. There are users and haters here. Benny is one of the most knowledgable PT people here. Certainly though, times have changed. There are many more audio software systems out there now, and PT has become somewhat more accessible to the masses (me). Most of the PT haters dislike it primarily because it is marketed as firmware, so you need to use specific hardware to run it, either Digidesign or M-Audio. I'm pretty neutral about it. Is it the greatest thing since sliced bread, superior to all those other piss-ant systems? No. Is it perfectly usable? Probably, depending on your needs. I have no use for mega-overlayed tracks, with 3 guitars panned left, 3 panned right, and 3 down the middle. I'll never need more than 32 tracks out, and most of the time, I have no more than 4 tracks simultaneous in. I don't use bizzillions of plugins, and the 002 does everything I need it to do. So if you think I have chosen badly to be running PT LE, too bad. And I don't really care what software you are running, either.-Richie

I admit I use ptle also. Saying its not the real pro tools is not entirely correct. Yes it isn't nearly a fraction as powerful as and hd rig but the layout and operation of it are nearly exactly identical. With the right computer set up and the expansion pro tools is coming out with you'll be able to get 48 tracks full of plugs with little problems. I run a measly Imac G5 and I can max out my tracks and put loads of plugs if I want, but I don't really use that many. Honestly every program has its strenghts and weaknesses and pretty much any one you buy will get the job done. However if you want an honest recommendation then go with Cubase. I bought the SE version as my first piece of music software and I still play with it from time to time not to mention you can get a bunch of decent free vst's off the net.

jonnyc said:
I admit I use ptle also. Saying its not the real pro tools is not entirely correct. Yes it isn't nearly a fraction as powerful as and hd rig but the layout and operation of it are nearly exactly identical. With the right computer set up and the expansion pro tools is coming out with you'll be able to get 48 tracks full of plugs with little problems. I run a measly Imac G5 and I can max out my tracks and put loads of plugs if I want, but I don't really use that many. Honestly every program has its strenghts and weaknesses and pretty much any one you buy will get the job done. However if you want an honest recommendation then go with Cubase. I bought the SE version as my first piece of music software and I still play with it from time to time not to mention you can get a bunch of decent free vst's off the net.

Yes i agree with ya.

I have used a bunch of apps, including Sonar, Cubase, Logic, Pro Tools LE and Pro Tools TDM. Of course TDM is the best, its just so powerful, it is not obtainable for less than like 20 grand.. Seriously now, the programs all do the same function, just with different looks on the computer screen. I perfer the Pro Tools LE workstation though, and I am a big fan of my Digi 002. Pre- Pro tools, i was a Sonar 3 Producer user.

Pro Tools is not a curse. Here's another point; Pro Tools is to Mac= Sonar is to PC.
How's that for an SAT analogy question...

Back