Is N-track a good program?

demto

Can anybody out there give me advice on choosing a program.

I've been using an 8 track recorder wich has an analogue mixer and
a digital recorder. Its a Fostex DMT8.[16 bit 44.1khz] Its OK but not
the greatest ever made.

The Fostex is fairly easy to understand and use. You want more volume
on a track you turn up that tracks volume control !. Pretty easy and
straightforward

What I want to do now is possibly ditch the Fostex and record and
mix directly at the computer at 24 bit 96khz.

So I have been looking around the web for a suitable program and the
name N-track has been mentioned along with others. Iv,e downloaded
several demo programs. The problem with most of the demo versions
is that many features are only available on the paid for versions, which
is fair enough. The N-track demo version adds sounds to the recordings
and restricts severely the use of 24 bit recording if I remember correctly.
So I hav'nt been able to give it much of a road test, although it looks
promising.

My needs are fairly simple. I sing and play guitar. Both not very well.

What I want to do is record say 4 tracks, add a bit of reverb and
perhaps adjust the volume on a particular track. Then mix down to
stereo and save as a wav file.

I am not the slightest bit interested in Midi. I do not want to endlessly
manipulate tracks. I dont want thousands of effects. I dont want to add
sound to videos etc. What I would like a simple to understand and use
program which is reasonably specified but not over complicated.

So iv'e come to the N-track forum to ask your help. You use the program,
you know its plusses and minuses. Is it fairly simple to use. Does it have
problems. Would you think it would be suitable for me from what iv'e said,
or in your experience would you buy something else instead.

I would be extremely gratefull for your advice and opinions on N-track.

n track

many people have great success recording into n track. One option to consider would be recording onto your harddrive as you do and transfering the .wav files into n track for mixing and editing and mastering....

takes out some of the problems with recording directly to the pc, get the best of both world in my opinion...

i love n track, i cant beleive the diference in my recordings since i started using it.. i record into the fostex mr8, and transfer the files to the pc to finish...

but like i said most people record streight into it and have great success, some soundcard issues and all but lots of people to help you through that....

great eq uses all vst and direct x effects available on the web, i think it goes to 88 tracks....version 4.2 is out and they have been working out the bugs you get in any new version, i still use 3.3 and have never had a stability issue, while some have....

n-Track is way ahead in the competition IMHO - that is Cubase, ProTools, Sonar, Logic etc. All this power comes with ease of use at a fraction of the price of software even vaguely comparable in features. :D

Very highly recommended. I run v. 3.3 on a 2 GHz P IV system with 256 MB RAM and a MAYA 44 4-channel sound card, and I have produced a lot of great-sounding recordings spanning more than 40 tracks across. It even comes with a sort of 'entry-level' version where you get 16 bit, 44.1 kHz recordings, and yet may upgrade the program to allow for 24 bit, 192 kHz recordings at a later time should you so desire.

The quality is really only limited by the quality of equipment (mixer, soundcard, microphones etc.) you use. n-Track is capable of recording as many tracks at once as your sound card has recording inputs for. It supports midi, VST instrumets and effects, DirectX instruments and effects, ReWire instruments etc.

Read more at n-Track Website

regards, Nils

n track is a very good program. several of my friends have used it.
however if you want very detailed midi functionality,
and features like vocal harmonisation and pitch correction on vocal audio tracks ,and scoring , and midi notation and editing...i would suggest you view the video on powertracks that i use. $49.00(pgmusic.com). it also does 24 bit recording. also check out band in a box at the same site. a very unique package that can build a back up band in software. powertracks also has a slew of built in effects like echo and reverb, comp/lim/noise gating etc thus saving you buying plug ins. but certainly i have a lot of respect for n track.
it will serve you well if your main focus is audio recording.peace.

:cool:

n-track is my program of choice. It is highly affordable, and does all I need. I have used it to record live bands, with over 15 tracks recording at a time, and it performs flawlessly...now that some of the quirks have been worked out ;) . These being; finding an appropriate soundcard and drivers, and tweaking the right buffer settings. A little research goes a long way. For a smaller setup, say, 4 tracks, the buffer isnt really an issue, provided your pc is relatively new. The soundcard is probably the biggest consideration, no matter what program you use. An Audiophile 24/96 comes highly recommended, whereas a Soundblaster does not ;) , it makes a considerable difference in sound quality. This will be your biggest expense.

Best of luck.

Is N-track a good program

Thank you to everyone who has replied to my question. Your 'input' has convinced me that N-track is good. I'm glad about this as I like the layout
of N-track.

To Badassmak

The soundcard. I agree with what you say about quality and compatability.
I have a Terratec DMX6fire 24/96 sound card already fitted in my computer. It comes complete with a front control panel which is fitted in one of the bays of the computer [below the DVD and CD writer]

I am pretty sure there would be no problem using it with N-track. Seems
to work OK with the demo version but the demo version doesn't allow you
to do much. N-track recognises you have a 24 bit card and restricts what you can do.

So i'm going to start a new thread just to see if anyone else uses the
Terratec with N-track. As long as nobody else has had any big problems then
I will buy N-track. [if nobody answers I will buy it anyhow and take a chance]

Once again, thank you for all your replies.

Back