Is my rigid fiberglass gonna be enough

stoctony

OK I am far from the math geinus that you need to be to be able to equate just what your R/F will do for you. So this is what I have. All I could get was 5/8 fiberglass. I didnt want to double as it would cut down on my coverage area. I have 18 2x4x 5/8 sheets of R/F in my 12X14 room. All placed as the "great Ethan" prescribed. They are placed 2" off the walls except in the corners obviously. I then have the 5/8 in the corners as bass traps, behind them filled with insulation batting. I have only had a chance to play electric with an amp in there. My new computer is on the way. It sounds alot different in there compared to the empty room with just sheetrock walls. That was to be expected. Is there any thing else I should try before I get all my crap moved in there. Does any one forsee any problems right off the bat. Also I will post pictures and sound when all is done. Thanks for all the Help Guys. I couldn't have done it with out all of your help. Thanks again in advance

Stockton

So what you're saying is the stuff you put up is only 5/8" thick? I don't think that is going to cut it (pun intended) for the lows.

I have 3" in all my vertical corners floor to ceiling. There is a huge 4" piece on the back wall that is sloped from 0" to 18" at the top. I also have some 2" flat on the side walls in front of the monitors. And a massive 10' x 4' x 4" piece above the mix position that lays on the rafters. The roof is sloped so it varies in distance from nothing to probably 4 feet. Bass is pretty decent in there but even after all this, it's still not enough.

Stocton,

I agree with Dawg that 5/8 inch thick fiberglass is not nearly enough for corner bass trapping. Even two inches is cutting it close. So don't be such a cheapskate. :D

Go buy another box of tiles and make the corner panels thicker. A lot thicker.

--Ethan

I thought I was overkill but it's not. I wish I had more room because I would use even more. I did find out I had to adjust the low freq trim on my monitors. After that, the bass response is pretty nice for a small room.

Thanks for replying guys. It makes me feel alot better the you replied ethan. So even though I have batting stuffed behind the 5/8 in the corners that still wont cut it. But also, will the 5/8 spaced off the wall catch any of the high end lows. But it will obvously do stuff for my high and mids. If my bass traps dont work as is, then if I beef those up, does it sound like I will be decent in my studio over all.

I await all genius answers. Thanks guys

Tony

Well, depending on the thickness and density of the batting behind the corners you might have an effective bass trap.

Tell us more about the fiberglass panels that you have. Do you have a manufacturer and model number of it? The reason that I am saying this is that the 3-4 pcf density stuff is not really all that rigid and I don't really see it being sold in such thin sheets.

Tony,

> So even though I have batting stuffed behind the 5/8 in the corners that still wont cut it. <

It depends on how much batting, what it's made of, and how tightly it's packed in there.

> But also, will the 5/8 spaced off the wall catch any of the high end lows. <

Not as much as you need.

--Ethan

Thanks for all the help guys. I now know that I need to beef things up a bit to catch all of my lows. Thanks again for all of your help.

Tony

Back