Is My Label Legit?

KonradG

Medicated Member
Hello everyone, over the past week I've been researching the possibility of starting my own label and after consideration, I decided to go ahead and do it.

My question to you is; after reading my checklist and equipment list, would you consider my plan an upgrade from hobby to professional on the local scene? I've read the entire thread in the publicity forum (excellent source of information) and I think this would be an excellent way to conduct my music.

1. First things first, licenses and fees. fictitous business name, business license, retail license, BMI membership, the works
2. The equipment:
-Pro Tools LE (I payed 50 dollars an hour to get a demo made some sort of sub-full version of pro tools before)
-8 Tracks of simultaneous recording.
-Plugins (suitable compression, delay, vocal tuning, etc)
-Large Vaulted Ceiling wooden pyramid shaped drum room
-Very high performance dual core 2gb ram computer
3. Recording experience:
-I've been recording/gaining knowledge and experience for the past 18 months and have been playing for 10. I'm fully confident that I can successfully record a band.

I'm sure i've left alot of key points out, but please feel free to blow holes in my plan, i need the criticism so i dont leave out any key points.

PS im not going to sign any other bands other than my own for the first six months to gain even more contacts (got a big head start on that already) and get a feel for the game.

Are you starting a label or a studio? It kinda sounds like you are starting both, but leaning more towards the studio side. For a label to succesfully work, you will need: (taken from another thread)

1. Conventional distribution
2. What it takes to get radio airplay
3. Established and proven marketing
4. Connections to television, the press, etc.
5. Capital to invest in your career

For the studio aspect of it, it sounds like you've already tried to build up an assortment of gear. However, running a label is more like running a business and not just like recording a band.

yeah I agree, which would you like more, a label or studio? Label would be more promo while a studio would be more hands on. Perhaps a venture is in order with someone who possesses entrepreneurial skills. they can provide capital and networking to get you a foothold on what is a cut throat industry. Would you consider keepint the label part on the backburner till you start to record some professional sounding tracks with some good bands? You could easily work your way round to an Indie label if you build up a workign relationship with local bands on the pub-club scene.

mitosis said:
Are you starting a label or a studio? It kinda sounds like you are starting both, but leaning more towards the studio side. For a label to succesfully work, you will need: (taken from another thread)

1. Conventional distribution
2. What it takes to get radio airplay
3. Established and proven marketing
4. Connections to television, the press, etc.
5. Capital to invest in your career

For the studio aspect of it, it sounds like you've already tried to build up an assortment of gear. However, running a label is more like running a business and not just like recording a band.

1. Conventional distribution- "conventional" is relative. In five years, hardcopy cd's are a thing of the past. Electronic music stores are taking the industry and iTunes, yahoo, and Burnlounge.com will take the industry there. I can distribute in all three. Until then i will include a local distribution company i am close to in order to provide the cd's until then.
2. I have contacts in two of the three major rock/pop stations in the city, the third contains a locals only of which i am guarunteed airtime.
3. I have a promoting agency that books nearly half of the shows in the city, on top of contacts in 3 local floridian cities to extend regional shows.
4. In the city i live in, the college campus is the press and the media, and being a student at the university, the relationships with journalists and tv stations could not be better.
5. This label will not be my career. I've been working for three years that is specialized in contract law. They will be very helpful as well. One was a radio dj with plenty of spare contacts as well :)

I've been getting my hands on entrepreneurial ventures for five years, so i think im ready for the business side. I just never thought that my business side would meet my music side :)

KonradG said:
1. Conventional distribution- "conventional" is relative. In five years, hardcopy cd's are a thing of the past. Electronic music stores are taking the industry and iTunes, yahoo, and Burnlounge.com will take the industry there. I can distribute in all three. Until then i will include a local distribution company i am close to in order to provide the cd's until then.
2. I have contacts in two of the three major rock/pop stations in the city, the third contains a locals only of which i am guarunteed airtime.
3. I have a promoting agency that books nearly half of the shows in the city, on top of contacts in 3 local floridian cities to extend regional shows.
4. In the city i live in, the college campus is the press and the media, and being a student at the university, the relationships with journalists and tv stations could not be better.
5. This label will not be my career. I've been working for three years that is specialized in contract law. They will be very helpful as well. One was a radio dj with plenty of spare contacts as well :)

I've been getting my hands on entrepreneurial ventures for five years, so i think im ready for the business side. I just never thought that my business side would meet my music side :)

The things i see missing is experence and lots of money.Did anyone see the VH-1 special (about a year ago)? Payola? To run in the "fast track" you need to win the "rat race". Are you ready for the race? There are 1000s of independent lables out there and most of them are teams of attornys and silent investors. BIG $$$ involved. You dont market or "Sell" your music, you end up paying for airtime. The industry is very cut throat. The 80's is a perfect example. How many "one hit wonders were there?" Now we have moved 2.6 dedcades in the future. How bad is the industry now? Thanks to mp3s and PTP networking. Record companys are taking a hit from this not to mention all the lawsuits they had during the 90's. I started a label 2 yrs ago and now I gave it up. I'm by no means knocking you down but that is how it is. Then again you might make a name for yourself in your area. It may open up other doors. Plus trying to find bands "Good Enough" seems to be a never ending battle. Now I see why record companys put their own "Projects" together. Ive see great musicians in crappy bands. I back that statement up with "I run Live Front of House sound at a local club in Detroit".

Now, on recording. Had the same idea as you (Having a studio and starting a lable). 18 months is no way close enough to think that you can record a professional product. Now I am not knocking yor skills!. Not at all. I have been recording for 5yrs now and I am still not in that position. Now I have made a few $$ and I dumped it all back in to my studio. I am building a professional studio along the way and creating a reputation at the same time.

Now, take this as you will. This is the experiences that I had and by no way should effect your decision. Just another look.

Good Luck!

DrJones

Over all, I would recommend to keep the label as a hobby and don't take it professional. YOu can still run a label as a hobby for a profit. Take the studio to a professional level if you think you can make it. But overall, with the number fo indie labels out there, it's going to take a lot of time and a lot of money.

DrJones said:
The things i see missing is experence and lots of money.Did anyone see the VH-1 special (about a year ago)? Payola? To run in the "fast track" you need to win the "rat race". Are you ready for the race? There are 1000s of independent lables out there and most of them are teams of attornys and silent investors. BIG $$$ involved. You dont market or "Sell" your music, you end up paying for airtime. The industry is very cut throat. The 80's is a perfect example. How many "one hit wonders were there?" Now we have moved 2.6 dedcades in the future. How bad is the industry now? Thanks to mp3s and PTP networking. Record companys are taking a hit from this not to mention all the lawsuits they had during the 90's. I started a label 2 yrs ago and now I gave it up. I'm by no means knocking you down but that is how it is. Then again you might make a name for yourself in your area. It may open up other doors. Plus trying to find bands "Good Enough" seems to be a never ending battle. Now I see why record companys put their own "Projects" together. Ive see great musicians in crappy bands. I back that statement up with "I run Live Front of House sound at a local club in Detroit".

Now, on recording. Had the same idea as you (Having a studio and starting a lable). 18 months is no way close enough to think that you can record a professional product. Now I am not knocking yor skills!. Not at all. I have been recording for 5yrs now and I am still not in that position. Now I have made a few $$ and I dumped it all back in to my studio. I am building a professional studio along the way and creating a reputation at the same time.

Now, take this as you will. This is the experiences that I had and by no way should effect your decision. Just another look.

Good Luck!

DrJones

I agree that experience is missing, and lots of money is relative to what you are planning on spending it on. Startup expenses are the only expense you need to start up. And as for experience... well... it would take five years to get five years of experience and im willing to take the risk with a year and a half, CONSIDERING the following detail:

I think you didn't read my entire post. If you do, you'll see that my first and only project in my sights is my band. This allows me to learn the ropes and gain this mysterious "experience" that everyones hootin' about ( :D )

Also keep in mind this is what would be considered a "hobby" in most peoples eyes, but believe me it wont be treated as if it was a hobby.

So keeping in mind i will have a steady income, I think this route is the best choice for me and my band as of now. The music comes first, and if it means starting a record label to gain the legitimacy and attention of the stations, journalists and venues, then so be it. There's nothing like hard work and dedication to get somewhere...
...keeping in mind that luck is the other 50 percent in the music business

but what the hell, im 20, not 35, i can afford to do whatever the hell i want atm. i'll be in law school in 2 years anyway :)

Back