is my equipment ok in the basement (temp/humidity)

wes480

I get concerned about this like, every other season...

There is no heat in the basement, I live in Atlanta. The temp down there is like 57 degrees F, I'd say that stays FAIRLY constant throughout the winter. Maybe an abosolute low of 50. The humidity right now is 43%...I'd say that stays pretty constant to.

The studio stuff isn't in much use right now...so it's just kind of sitting there. I have taken all of the instruments out (expect the drumset, but it sucks anyways) and moved them into the house for warmer storage. I also took all of the mics out...and put them in the house as well.

What is down there is all of the rack gear, an Avalon U5, RNC, Drawmer Compressor...the Rode NTK power supply..various things.

The thing I am most concerend with are the Mackie HR824s - are they going to be damaged in this kind of environment?

Thanks.

hmm, i talked to a few people at Mackie and they were giving me weird answers like "hmm...i don't really know...but the humidity sounds suspicious.."

ok, finally one of the "guys who knows a lot about the speakers"...

said that the danger would be if i was running the speakers hot...and then turned it off, when they drop back to the cold temperature it could build up condensation...which would obviously be bad.

hrmmmm...now i am a bit scared. I havn't used them in a long time...which is good. But maybe I should pack it all up for the winter...I'll be moving before too long, and will have a temp. controlled envrionment to record in.

That's not really a very high humidity - here in Oregon we deal with 80-90 % a lot. Still, it's rather cool - the least I would do, until you move anyway, is put one of those 12" oscillating fans down there to keep the air moving. Tends to keep at least some of the stuff from "growing". If it's possible to keep a door cracked open into the space, that might help some too. Otherwise, hope you can move soon... Steve

well, rather than risk my 1200 dollar monitors, i just moved it all upstairs. i may set it up somewhere else...just won't be able to record drums and all.

Back