is M audio good monitors ?

I hesitate to reccomend them because Ive never seen them used outside of home studios...if the were all that great the pros would be using it.

For $400 used you can have a really good set...Ive seen the JBLs that sit inside the walls for under $400 on Craigslist...you should go that route with only that much...you can test them out they will be OK...Pawn shops are great for this kind of thing too...after all there was this home studio boom and now there is a ressession;)

if you have access to listening to them bring in a cd you know and let your ears decide. I personally have the BX8A which are good for what I want. I spent a lot of time listening and they didn't have the shrillness that the 5As are known for yet they weren't muddy like the MR5's. Many people will recommend the KRK's but they didn't do much for me. Also check out the yamaha HS50/80M

I use Yamahas...they make monitors that seem to be on all the major recording desks...I lucked into my NS10s because the pawnbroker thought they were bookshelf speakers...so I spent $60 on them...I could easily score $500 for them on Ebay.

I have the BX5....they're pretty good IMHO but a little lacking in bass when turned up. That said, any given set of monitors is only going to really shine in a proper listening environment.

Until treating my room, I thought all my monitors sucked...afterwards, I thought they all sounded better...especially the bass.

As one of the previous posters suggested...go listen...hit the music shops and test drive as possible. Take a CD with you and do some A/B comparisons but again, realize that they may sound different in your studio. I know that can be tough sometimes but it would suck to make a purchase then wonder if you made the right buy.

I've found that a couple listening options is best. I have a set of Klipsche Heresey's, BX5s and a set of inexpensive "home theater" type infinity book shelf speakers...I flip through them all to listen for difference.

Good luck.

Back