Is it worth this much?

matt_barlow

I am going to be ordering some stuff in the next few days. I was thinking about getting this.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...1630/search/g=rec/s=mics/detail/base_id/60252

That would give me 2 mics. Then I was thinking about getting an audiobuddy preamp. That would give me two pres also. For $130 Could I get something better. This will be used for tracking drums. I already have a samson mixer running into a delta 1010lt card. My mics already are a cheap fostex mic and a shure sm 48. Anyway. Tell me what you think. Thanks in advance, Matt

If you already have a Samson mixer I doubt the Audiobuddy pres are going to be a cost effective step up. Why not just use the pres in the mixer and spend the $130 on a couple of better mics like SM 57s?

Well, about 2 years ago, I bought a pair of AKG D2300S's, for $70. They're great mics to keep around, for backup vox, or other live situations where you don't want to put your best stuff out. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that these are pretty similar.

I've never been all that impressed with them in the studio. Taking the ball off, I've gotten acceptable results on Acoustic Guitar (the foam in the ball really changes the sound). Vocals just never sounded right in a recording environment. I much prefer singing through my SM-57.

But for $80, if I were thinking primarily studio, I'd definitely lean towards the Studio Projects B1, or the MXL V67. A condenser will make a big difference. Dynamics are great, but in order to get one much better than the SM-57, you're looking at $200 and up.

just my 2 cents....

-mg

Does your mixer have phantom power? If so, you may want to look into getting a couple of MXL 603s. With some research you can find them for "close" to $130 for a pair. These would work great for drum overheads to get the full sound of the kit, and for acoustic guitar.

Just another suggestion to mull over...

Thanks all. I want two extra pres because I eventually want to be able to record 8 tracks of drums and right now I only have 2 on the 1010lt and 4 on the samson mixer. That was my reasoning behind getting the audiobuddy. Yes my mixer does have phantom power but it is only 36 volts instead of 48 volts.(I am not for sure if volts is the right word.) I forgot to add in the last post that I also have a shure 58 along with the shure 48. Anyway thanks again and in advance for future response, Matt

The aphex 107 on ebay look real nice. I went on and got one for 125. How this product is not on there website. Also, The unit I am getting does not come with the power supply. It is 24V 600Ma Power supply. Where can I get this? Radioshack? How much do they run. Thanks in advance, Matt

Back