Is It Worth It ????

newatthis

I wasnt sure where to put this post. I figured since this is the "buy and sell" section, that maybe some of you who are knowledgeable about gear can help me out.

I have the option of possibly buying a replacement recording console from a guy in a neighboring town, out of his Studio.

Its to replace the Mackie 24X8 I am using now as my recording desk.

A pro commercial recording engineer friend of mine said this piece would be "the perfect addition to my studio" and I should buy it up.

Its a Mackie D8B Console,,,,fully automated with motorized faders, up to 72 input capability etc etc and all the digital goodies (like decent digital EQ.s onboard). He said it would fit the bill perfectly for what I am after to do and has the functional capability of those 1/2 million dollar consoles that are out there in Studio's today.

Now I know there are other consoles out there to look at, but this thing is supposed to retail at over $15,000.00 (so I am told, I havent checked yet).

Anyway, its 3 years old...MINT condition and currently in the box it came in with all the manuals etc, stored at this guys place.

I can grab it up for probably under $2,000.00 if I move on it this week. The guy wants to launch it, and dosent want the bother of advertising it, or even ebayin it etc. (I see on ebay they go from $2500.00 to $4000.00+ used) And this one has all 4 added effects cards in it ready to go, plus many plug ins already installed.

Does anyone on here have any input, or know about this particular model console, and is it a steal (as I am being told) at that price???? I know the seller personally, so I wont be getting screwed over by it being junk, or broken etc.

I just want to know if its truly is a deal for the unit it is? Also is it user friendly, and has anyone ever seen or worked with one?

Thanks and Peace
Aj :cool:

If you are sure the thing is in good working order...

GRAB IT RIGHT NOW!
Indeed it did retail for something around that amount.

It is the main console of the studio of my school, I use it all the time. E-mail timvangeelen at home dot nl if you want to know anything specific. It's a great console. TONS of routing options, both software and hardware (you won't believe how many things you can plug into this thing), a very nice software channel strip on every channel (4 EQ types with 4 bands each, 1 comp, 1 gate, 2 fx slots). You can control any DAW software it (it supports mackie hui mode).

I don't know what you already know about this thing but it is a very very cool console if you learn how to use it (it does have a learning curve). You can even install additional fx cards in it.

The digital 8 buss is indeed a very functional console. Some of the add ons are pretty nice, but the stock stuff is not so great. It is very versatile though, and integrates very well with DAW applications. What it does not do well, is the analog stage. It is not the greatest sounding mix or tracking console as far as preamps go, and the stock comps and EQ's aren't so hot. However, if you are replacing a regular Mackie with it, it will still be an improvement. I find the EQ on the D8B to be much nicer than that of the 8 buss mackies (except the newer onyx stuff) and the pre's to be about the same. If it has addon cards installed, then $2000 seems like a good price. Plus you also get great DAW control of visual recall stuff.

Well...just picked this unit up today. Figured I'd check it out. It has all 4 of the optional FX cards installed and also the 3 I/O Port cards in the back./

He had it in NEW condition in the box, with all the manuals and paperwork, and let me have it for $1500.00. :D

Did I do ok? :confused: :D

Now I have it all sitting in storage until I build my new studio which hopefully if I get the variance from the Borough (because the building will sit closer to the road then their 40ft standard) I hope to have this Studio up and built within the next 6 months.

This outta be interesting!! :D :eek:

Peace

Almost forgot,,,I assume (in asking those of you guys who are familiar) this thing will connect and communicate well with my Alesis HD24,,,,,right??? :eek: I figured from what I have read so far that I will just use a couple lightpipes>??

I wish i could set this thing up and play with it, but I cant yet. Its bad enough its sitting in the living room and she WONT let me unbox it and set it up there...lol :D

Anyway,,,any input on the HD24 question would be appreciated.

Thanks and Peace

Great Find! And good price, I hope you like it! There's an 02R at the local shop with all the cards for $1500 I am really interested in... meter bridge and all. Too bad I don't really need it.

Pete

Yeah it will fit great with the HD24. You can go ADAT lightpipe (you'll also need a wordclock cable) or even simple analogue, since the HD24 also has analogue ins.

Back