Is it worth it, what is the advantage

Flash

I have Sonar 1 XL at the present time. Now it's time to upgrade. Cakewalk has a special going on. Sonar 4 studio upgrade for $79 , Sonar 4 producer is $249. I thought at one time I seen a thread about this same subject, but can't find it. Is it worth going to producer over studio. I read some on the cakewalk site. Seems the biggest diff. was being able to do video 5.1
What is your thoughts on this? How many of you run studio? How many run producer? In case your wondering, basically I record and mix to a certain point at the present time. I use a Delta 1010 and I just purchased a Mackie 1604-vlz pro. I want to be able to record live bands also an mix them down. Maybe the video is in the near future though. Haven't thought about that yet. Any advice???????

Edit: O.K. looks like I found a page I missed the first time. Looks like Producer does 10 things Studio doesn't + AVI vidio 5.1 and Windows media 5.1 export is stereo only and Lexicon Pantheon reverb is an LE ver. The two I'm really wondering about is Enhanced mixing console (per-channel EQ, assignable FX controls) and Sonitus fx Suite. Well of course the others maybe important also. That's what I'm really wanting to know......Thanks

Last edited:
the sonitus stuff is pretty awesome, I guess before cakewalk got them, they were a pretty hot commodity. not that I knew anything back then (read:now)... Anyways, I have producers, I'd hoped the lexicon verb would've been better, but it's not yet. guess I'll have to start saving for a real reverb unit. booo. at least that'll give me processor speed back though, when I do. :D

The new channel console strip is way better and versatile than that of previous editions (I went from Sonar 2.2 XL to 4.01 Producer Edition) It is quite more flexible in bussing which saves a lot on processing if you add plug-ins there and the EQ section is great as you don't have to add plug-ins to EQ on the fly. Well worth it. Just have good size monitors so you can see everything without having to scroll up/down.

I'll probably go with producer. Thanks for the replies. I wish there were more though to make a better decision. Thanks again.....

Back