Is it worth adding a Grace M101 to my pres?

dickiefunk

Hi,

I currently use a UA Solo 610, Focusrite ISA One and PreSonus Eureka in my studio.
These are all capable of different colors and all sound great.
However, all my pres are transformer type pres and apparently this adds something to the sound??

Because of this I'm tempted to get a clean/transparent sounding pre and have the possibility of picking up a secondhand Grace M101.

From my experience of my pres I would say the Eureka in the most transparent/uncolored sounding pre of the bunch.

My question is , would the Grace M101 be a MUCH more transparent/uncolored preamp than what I already own ? Would the Grace be a worthwhile addition to my current pres?

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I was thinking along those lines.

I've been doing some pricing up on these pres and found that the P-Solo costs £463 and the M101 £591!!!

I've never seen these come up secondhand in the UK.

I've already got pres in my Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP which are transformerless and said to be pretty clean and transparent. Maybe these will be fine!!?

The True (or the Grace, although I have a personal preference to the P-Solo) are in another universe compared to the Saffire (IMO/E).

Ok that's interesting to know.
The M101 that I was considering buying would not be cost effective. Buy the time I've paid shipping ( US-UK ) and paid for handling it would be close to the price of a new one!

Maybe I'll hang on till when one of these comes up secondhand and stick with the tools I know for now!

Back