Is it the PU the amp or the monitor?

myhatbroke

Cocktacular Member
I have a CRT monitor :o , so anyways when I'm recording leads I use the neck PU and maybe after 30 minutes it starts having really bad interference but I don't what it is. THe bridge PU is quiet but the weird thing is that the neck PU won't start messing up 'till maybe 30 minutes later like I said. What is going on, is it a combination of all three things ? :confused:

crt monitors will induce hum into single coil pickups. is your neck pickup a single coil? i have no idea why it's taking 30 minutes to happen. maybe it takes you 30 minutes to figure out how to turn on your monitor? :D

Had the same issue here, and I finally realized there are only two options, other than moving to a different house.

EMI is everywhere, the wiring, the microwave, the cordless phone, the CB'er next door, etc....

All you can do is

(1) learn to stand at the specific angle relative to your monitor where the interference is least (usually with the guitar at 90 degree angles to the monitor)

OR.....

(2) Have noiseless pickups installed on your axe.

I did #1 for years and years, but paying attention to that all the time really sux the spontaneous passion out of a guitar track.

Then I did #2.....and I'll never go back! :)

Of course, I'm assuming you have already eliminated the power supply as a culprit? And you already have great cords? I even put those little ferrite chokes on all my cords. Now my guitar is hum free!

Back