Is it possible....

m98ter

This may be an unanswerable question (considering no one here has ever heard anything of mine), but is it possible that I'm getting good sounding mixes while monitoring through my consumer audio speakers (very vintage fishers)? Every time I finish mixing a song, I can take the mix to anything else (computer, boombox, car stereo) and it still retains nearly the identical same sound signature to it as it did on my fishers. I'm just curious, because I was thinkin about dropping some cash on some studio monitors, but I'm not so sure it's so neccessary. I'd hate to shell out $500 bucks that could be spent on a new microphone for something that I can't tell makes any difference in my sound.

I know a few folks who like to mix on old speakers. If your mixes are sounding good then run with it. It is really about how good you are on the monitors you are familiar with.

If your mixes sound good and they translate well to other systems, then your monitoring setup is probably just fine as it is. It's very rare for that to be the case, but I've heard of stranger things.

It is possible that you're not hearing a full range on either your "monitors" or the systems you're listening to after the fact. Studio monitors usually hear between ~40hz-20khz... which could make a difference.

You could be lucky and/or gifted - either way whatever works. If your mixes are coming out pretty good with minimal tweaking & monitoring then you may have a real knack for recording. Without hearing your stuff it's not possible to make a conclusion either way.

Go ahead and post something and find out what other audio folks think ! ;)

Back