Is it possible to record Voc,Drum,Guit,Bass Direct Onto a PC???

PROZAK

Can anyone help me!!!
We have been together a few years now but all of our demos have come out pantz.
Is it possible for us to record our own demos. Drums, vocals, guitar and bass direct into a mixing desk then P.C.??
What packages do this???
What else could we need?? (Fourtrack etc)
Any kind of price estimates or Web site suggestions would be of great value to us.
Thanks in advance and keep on with the music making!!
PROZAK

Of course it´s possible.
In my opinion, the best way to do it is to mike the drums and mix it at your mixing board and then to your soundcard.
For the other instruments maybe you can use mics and a preamp and record them at other inputs of the soundcard.
OK, what do you need?
A good PC - there are a lot of threads here about it.
a pro soundcard - 4 or 8 inputs, it depends on your needs and cash
a software - like Cakewalk, Cubase, n-track.

Kinsley's correct. If you want to track the band all at once you'll need a card with at least 8 inputs. Gadgetlabs makes a dandy. For software, Sonic Foundry's Vegas is what I'm using on my PC. On my Mac however I'm using ProTools which I have to say is expensive but VERY cool

To give you more information, I built my DAW last week, and I´ll be doing something like you.
I purchased a Delta 44 soundcard (www.m-audio.com) with 4 in/outputs. I´m using for now Cakewalk software.
I´ll be doing separate records, so 4 inputs is really enough.
I did not record a whole song yet to tell you that my choice was correct, but I really did a lot of research before buying the whole system.
Good research and keep on rockin´.

Thanks again Kinsey. It means loads to us. We have had bad experiences paying for demo recordings that have not reflected what we feel is our sound.
I hope the recording goes well with you....
now to go spend some cash

If you want may I/O cheap, cheack out the Audio DSP24 with ADC/DAC2000 breakout box at http://www.buydigital.co.kr/digital/english/products_showcase.htm I got one and am very happy with the quality.

Do you have a mixer with direct outs or do you have preamps for all the mics? Most soundcards only have line in (or low quality preamps) but there are some expensive exeptions. I think the most cost effective is to use the preamps on a mixer and run the direct outs to the soundcard.

Check out https://homerecording.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/001592.html

/Ola

The mixer I invested in has direct outs.
Its a 24 track Yamaha....but i can't remember the number at the moment.
Thanks for your input also...

Then simply run the direct out to the soundcard and do all the mixing in the digital realm. You can run the eight outputs on the soundcard to mixer and use the main mix as playback for the musicians. That way you can set the playback levels differently for the different takes without messing with the "real" mix in the computer.

Absolutely Superb!!!
Thanks for the input maybe now we can start the "ball" rolling as they say.
Thanks again it is appreciated beyond belief. I only found this site today and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel getting brighter already!!!

Maybe "get the tape rolling" would be more appropriate around here. Or maybe not in the computer recording forum when all comes around.

Welcome aboard and may you be blinded by the light like the rest of us.

/Ola

And once you´re aboard you can be sure that you´ll use this board a lot of times, like I´m doing.
People here knows a lot and like to help...

Back