Is it possible to put together a good notebook system??

enemyofthesun

Currently I use a PC, MOTU2408mkII and Cubase 5.1

I would consider moving to mac if neccesary but tell me would it be possible to configure a notebook for recording? I need up to 16 simultaneous inputs so I assum the input would have to be via pcmcia? What card etc is avail out there?

Are there concerns as to the motherboards in these notebooks and their compatibility etc? Could secondary hds be installed into some of these?

Any reccomendations would be helpful .thanks

Anything is possible;)

I have been using an IBM t20 for a while, and while only recording 1 track at a time, i have been able to play back between 20 and 35, with various midi, plug-ins and soft synths.

I was using the stock soundcard and getting decent results, but have just ordered the RME Multiface PCMCIA card. I still won't get up to 16 tracks soon, but perhaps 8. I will report back with my progress.

BTW, this t20 is a 750 piii with 256, 12 gig HD, Win2000. It is my main day job computer and has lots of stuff on it from MS office, to various network and work specific applications.

For more specific info about which laptops, you can go to the tech tips section of www.rme-audio.com. It is a year old, so not many current computers are on there. I will soon be getting an HP or Compaq through work. Supposedly faster, but I am worried about trading in my IBM, bc it has been so stable.

You can use external HD, through firewire, or with another pcmcia card.

I posted more info in another thread about specific cards. You can do a search.

Of course it is possible.
Just buy an expensive Tibook or high end notebook from Sony, Toshiba. Stuff it with as much ram as you can afford. Buy an external drive (firewire) Buy RME soundcard if you're going for PC. Buy RME or MOTU when you going for MAC.
I would go for the latest Tibook-1giga ram-firewire external hd. 2x RME Hammerfall Multiface.
You need some good pre's though.

Greetz

Back