Is it possible to extend vocal range?

lancelot0888

Hi guys! I'm just curious if it's really possible to expand vocal range? and if possible, are there any ways to do it without hiring a vocal coach?

Right now I can sing the songs of John Mayer, Howie Day and some songs of Ed Sheeran comfortably.

But I would like to achieve a range like James Bay. I can sing this song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g756ro3hjM4) but I feel like I'm belting too much and I'm straining then eventually I can feel that my voice is tired. I would like to sing it effortlessly and be comfortable in singing it. Can you help me guys?

Thanks!
Lance

PS: I'm a Male :)

yep - get a singing teacher, and they will teach you how t support your voice and maximise whatever you have. They'll also stop you damaging it with bad technique.

Are there any ways to do it? What if I sing high songs over and over again, would it expand my vocal range?

Last edited:
IANaDb... there are YouTube tutorials, etc. that will teach you some exercises that can help you expand your range. However, it's one of those things where bad technique can cause you serious physical injury. It's best if you consult a professional and get real lessons.

If you absolutely can't afford it tho, go to YouTube and search for "vocal exercises", "vocal exercises range", and similar phrases.

Your vocal folds are like most moving bits of your body - they need to be warmed up before use. Straining them can give short term problems like a sore throat and croaky voice, or they can be injured. Then you start to develop little lumpy bits on them called nodules. These often need surgery to remove, and very rarely is your voice back to where it was - it changes, hopefully, subtly.

Extending your range can be just something that happens in the throat area, or it can be something that happens lower down, in the diaphragm region. Thing like an organ pipe - the little wedge shape slot is your vocal fold, but the overall tone and range is produced by the rest of the pipe - it's shape and rigidity.

Singers with long careers have learned how to support their voice and look after it, running it in properly like we used to do with cars. Many popular singers have short singing careers because they abused their voices, accidentally, and after a while, like wrinkles, the vocal folds just can't hack it any more.

The answer to your question is a simple one - yes, you can extend your range. How much by, and for how long needs a professional input who can listen to you and advise. One singer I know well, who was in Les Mis in London, moved to Broadway, and is now doing the same role in the Philippines. He sings powerfully and every single day, twice! He has a practice regime recorded, and it lasts about 15 minutes, and he does the same exercises before each performance. He has a bong like gizmo he inhales vapour through to saturate his vocal folds and prepare the skin inside for the workout it's about to get. He rarely has to take a show off - his voice pays the mortgage. Another friend has been singing for nearly twenty years and her voice is getting tired, despite having singing lessons - mainly because she often has to abuse it. She works on cruise ships, and extra shows when she is tired get sprung on them, or perhaps she has to sing louder than usual because an alternate location means everyone turns up. Unlike Broadway/West End, protection of performers voices is not high on the list. She's had nodules removed and her voice is wearing out early. Still good, but not as good as it was, and she's not 40 yet!

You have already said you've picked up bad habits. Getting rid of them suggests the thing you really need, is what you don't want to get - a professional. If you were a sportsman, and wanted to improve your times, would you experiment with your muscles and joints yourself? Maybe stretching ligaments or injuring joints?

If you were a sportsman, and wanted to improve your times, would you experiment with your muscles and joints yourself? Maybe stretching ligaments or injuring joints?

The sports comparison is actually quite apt. Your voice is a muscle system that can strengthen and improve with training, but it's also very possible to hurt yourself. An abrupt, career-ending injury isn't too likely, but long-term damage from misuse will certainly accrue.

I like to use Matthew west as a prime example. He had a successful career, singer/songwriter, CCM icon. Then he hyper extended his voice and burst a blood vessel in his voice box.

The story is here:
[video]http://www1.cbn.com/content/matthew-west-something-say[/video]

Point is: Professionals can hurt their voices. Be careful with yours. :)

Yes you definitely can. I used to think it was BS but in..like 5 months I've added two semitones to my range. Not great but still its something. I probably could have been further by now if I still could afford a coach but to answer you question yes it definitely is possible.

However what I'm wondering is are you really extending your natural range or just unlocking your natural range by using better technique? Part of me thinks it's the latter.

Back