Is it possible to duplicate cassettes with a double cassette deck?

iaxxal

Hi,

The double cassette deck I am using is the Technics RS-T22 and I'm having some trouble trying to make duplicates. I put the master tape into deck b (which is only capable of playback) and put a blank tape into deck a (which is capable of both playback and recording). The trouble I am having is that if I put 'deck a' into recording mode and try playback 'deck b' simultaneously, it seems I can only playback one cassette at a time?

So, I'm here to ask if it's actually possible to duplicate cassettes tape within a single cassette deck or would I need to purchase another deck in order to duplicate?

Any info would be greatly appreicated!

Thanks,

George.

Usually, a dual deck should be able to 'dub' or copy one cassette to the other. Looking on the web, there is certainly reference to this partic model being used for that purpose.

There may be a 'trick' to it, in that the dub process needs to be started as a single operation. Ones of this sort that I've had did have a 'trick' called 'auto' or something like, but they would still allow a manual operation, i.e. start the record, then start the play.

Do you have the manual. That should explain. It's on the web.

Is there a button/switch for 'dub' or copy - is that set to allow copying? I assume this machine does not have a high speed dub (twice normal speed)?

However, it SHOULD be possible, if you do it the right way. Maybe it works ONLY if you use the 'automatic' process, which may not be obvious?

Geoff

IIRC, that unit doesn't do dubbing, but it does do 'serial play' - you can insert two tapes and one will play when the other ends.

Been digging further on the web, and the answer to this query seems more elusive.

Firstly, not sure there's a real point to a double deck if you cannot copy from one to the other.

Looking at pics of this deck, I note references on the front to 'Synchro Edit', even 'High Speed', both of which would suggest some sort of copy facility. The only logical means of 'edit' would be while copying from one position to the other. Maybe you need to 'edit' from one position to the other, but don't actually 'edit' anything? Maybe, when this deck was designed, the idea of copying a tape was NOT something that should be advertised too well?

Interesting. I'll keep looking.

Geoff

Back