Is it possible to do this?

Locking Nut

To give my recording more ooomph I want to try the thing where you rec'd your guitar left, right and down the middle. My question is this: is it possible to bounce a track down from stereo into the left or right? The reason I ask this is that I'm a novice guitarist and my timing sux so it would take ages for me to rec'd the same thing in three tracks correctly. I had a go yesterday on a song and it sounded like I had delay on :)

Also, if you copy the same guitar track into a couple more tracks will that make it sound bigger or will it not make a difference?

It will add about 3dB each time you bounce but nothing else will happen. It's still better to record a new track. If you can't do that, bounce the left track to the right and add reverb, or chorusing, or change the EQ (or do all three) to make the "new" track distinct from the "old" one.

cut copy paste

lpdeluxe said:
It will add about 3dB each time you bounce but nothing else will happen. It's still better to record a new track. If you can't do that, bounce the left track to the right and add reverb, or chorusing, or change the EQ (or do all three) to make the "new" track distinct from the "old" one.

It is possible. I hope someone who really CAN English will explain it better.
I can try, anyway:
You can insert your stereo guitar track several times into your session.
Make sure all of them start at same time. Timing should not be a problem.
CEP helps you a big deal with timing.
You can edit each track separately in edit window and save them as new files.
guitar2; guitar3; etc
You can even highlight only one channel of the stereo track end modify it.
In that way you can get several guitar tracks playing at the same time and sounding different which depends of your editing results.

You should make sure that result is not too loud. There many ways to do that.
Volume control for each track, envelops, editing ..
I'm sure you can do that.

Anyway, you’d better record it at least twice for two voices guitar tracks.

Finaly advice:
Practice guitar man, do not try to cheat in studio.

Thanks.

p.s. I'm not trying to cheat :) (well, kinda) It's just that I'm a beginner and I wanted to have the stuff sounding good without taking too long.

gasal69 said:
It is possible. I hope someone who really CAN English will explain it better.
I can try, anyway:
You can insert your stereo guitar track several times into your session.
Make sure all of them start at same time. Timing should not be a problem.
CEP helps you a big deal with timing.
You can edit each track separately in edit window and save them as new files.
guitar2; guitar3; etc
You can even highlight only one channel of the stereo track end modify it.
In that way you can get several guitar tracks playing at the same time and sounding different which depends of your editing results.

You should make sure that result is not too loud. There many ways to do that.
Volume control for each track, envelops, editing ..
I'm sure you can do that.

Anyway, you’d better record it at least twice for two voices guitar tracks.

Finaly advice:
Practice guitar man, do not try to cheat in studio.

As lpdeluxe said, you're going to need some sort of time processing in there as well to make it sound "different", not just have the volume louder. If you only do EQ adjustments, it will change the EQ of the sound of them playing together...but you could just do that with one track.

The reason why the double-track approach sounds good is the very slight timing differences when you play a part over and over again. So either hit a track with a VERY short delay or chorus or record it again until you get the second pass that you want.

I'm all about cheating. Lol...yes, recording multiple takes is better...however, the way I "cheat" sometimes is to pan and create a manual delay. It goes something like this:

Record a guitar track on track 1. Make a copy of it (right click, "loop duplicate" will work). Take the copy and put it on Track 2 and make sure it is perfectly aligned with the beginning of track 1. All you've done at this point is to make the guitar louder, like lp said.

Now, pan the first one (track 1) somewhere between 30% - 80% left. Pan the 2nd one correspondingly right.

Then just put a .030 delay on the right track. You do this by first making sure that the "display time format" bar at the bottom is set to "mm:ss.ddd" . Then right click on track2 and select "wave block properties". A box will popup that has a "time offset" field in it. Whatever number is in that field, add 30 milliseconds to it. for example, if track 1 and track 2 are at the very beginning of the session, then the box should originally read "0:00.000" and you need to change that to "0:00.030". If both tracks were originally at "1:26.456" (i.e., starting somewhere in the middle of the song), then change the number on track 2 to "1:26.486".

bater litch,
Chris

also, when "doubling" the track, if you zoom in ALOT, and then move the "newer" track over ever so slightly, itll give it a "phasing-ish" reverby echolikey flangy effect. The timing offset has to be slight (hence the zooming), but play with it to taste.

This is my cheat to overdubbing vocals....try out all this shit! CEP is the best

Locking Nut said:
Thanks.

p.s. I'm not trying to cheat :) (well, kinda) It's just that I'm a beginner and I wanted to have the stuff sounding good without taking too long.

You can't make a crummy performance sound good. After a couple of months trying to double your tracks, you will get better recordings and become a better guitar player. That should be the goal, and it doesn't take that long.

chrisharris said:
I'm all about cheating. Lol...yes, recording multiple takes is better...however, the way I "cheat" sometimes is to pan and create a manual delay. It goes something like this:

Record a guitar track on track 1. Make a copy of it (right click, "loop duplicate" will work). Take the copy and put it on Track 2 and make sure it is perfectly aligned with the beginning of track 1. All you've done at this point is to make the guitar louder, like lp said.

Now, pan the first one (track 1) somewhere between 30% - 80% left. Pan the 2nd one correspondingly right.

Then just put a .030 delay on the right track. You do this by first making sure that the "display time format" bar at the bottom is set to "mm:ss.ddd" . Then right click on track2 and select "wave block properties". A box will popup that has a "time offset" field in it. Whatever number is in that field, add 30 milliseconds to it. for example, if track 1 and track 2 are at the very beginning of the session, then the box should originally read "0:00.000" and you need to change that to "0:00.030". If both tracks were originally at "1:26.456" (i.e., starting somewhere in the middle of the song), then change the number on track 2 to "1:26.486".

bater litch,
Chris
This is right on, i use this strategie anytime i can not get two consistant tracks out of my recording artist. .030 seconds is just aobut perfect, more will make it sound wierder, and will make it feel like the track that was not moved to a later position is a little louder (i usually move the right track later, just out of habit, so the left track may feel heavy) if this happens, do NOT fix it with the volumes, this only half-way fixes the problem. The main issue is that your brain can tell that the sound is orignating from one side or the other, and then getting to the other ear, and in normal, life situations, this is how your brain tells you that the car coming at you is to your left. fix it by making the delay a little less, or you could try panning the not-delayed track a little closer to the center than the delayed track.

The best name for this technique is 'fake stereo', that is what everyone in my studio have always called it. real stereo is with two seperate tracks (either two takes, or two mics in one take, or even a combination). this makes it feel like stereo becasue of the slight time issue, so it is fake stereo.

you can also mask this technique by adding a VERY small amount of reverb to each channel individually, this creates millions of little delays that will smooth out the tracks and make the time delay less noticable, but the stereo just about as wide.
-Keith

I just use a doubling pitch shift. 9 cents down on the left 9 cents up on the right. I would tell you my pre-delay settings, but then I would have to kill you.

randyfromde said:
An 18 cent pitch spread doesn't sound noticible, especially in comparison to other in-tune instruments?

The secret is the delays. you set it up so it kind of sounds like a chorus that doesn't sweep.

Back