Is it necessary to use a pop filter?

You can make one out of a pair of nylons (as long as they are not too badly laddered and a wire coat hanger. You can also help tame "plosives" by not singing directly at the microphone !

most broadcast voiceovers are done with the mic at a 2 or 10 o'clock position for this reason.

You can get a nicer look by using an embroidery hoop rather than a coat hanger.

Unless plosives are part of your vocal style I have not heard anybody complaining about it affecting their style.

if you don't mind me asking a follow-up question in your thread:

I've seen pop filters with a metal mesh. Is there any difference to the "ordinary" ones? (except that they look cooler and can hurt the singer's nose) :p

there's also the old tape a pencil to the microphone trick which essentially directs the plosives away from the diapraghm

Will you always need a pop filter? No- but the mic will. Only with certain styles? Yes- ones that involve vocals. Does it affect the sound? Yes. Pop filters tend to scrub off a little bit of the highs, which can be good or bad. I've used nylon pop filters for years, and I just switched to a Stedman steel filter, and I'll never go back to nylon. It simply scrubs off *less* highs.-Richie

I read that moisture is bad for the condensor mic. So I use one always for vocals. I always pop the vocals anyway, so I use it, and I keep the bag over it w/ the gel thing.

I should probably use something better for the moisture. Anyone know of anything to keep it drying when not in use?

BTW, here's my homemade pop filter, no need to buy something when all you need is a piece of thin material in front of a mic element....

this is solid aluminum ground wire, so wash your hands if you're gonna eat after adjusting it. But it's flexible, to a point, if you flex it enough in one spot, it'll snap there.

Attachments

• popf.jpg
    popf.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 174
junplugged said:
BTW, here's my homemade pop filter, no need to buy something when all you need is a piece of thin material in front of a mic element....

this is solid aluminum ground wire, so wash your hands if you're gonna eat after adjusting it. But it's flexible, to a point, if you flex it enough in one spot, it'll snap there.

how come your mics wearing a condom??

word_play said:
how come your mics wearing a condom??

Because I'm in the damp basement. I have the moisture thingy in there that it was packed with, but I'd like to know what else to do to keep it relatively dry.

Back