Is it my sound card...or me?

ThoughtRecords

Hey every one,

I run a little basement recording studio. Nothing special just for fun.

Currently I have a Lexicon Lambda Audio Interface, MXL 990 Condensor, and I am using Cubase LS. Like I said, nothing special.

I have a Toshiba Satellite a205 Laptop running Vista 32bit. Its all stock nothing special here too.

Well I have done over 20 full songs with what I have. And they all never come out with that "studio sound" It always seems dull. Its just lacking something.

Now I know it could be from many things, lack of a decent sound card, no-good recording techniques (I am still inbetween a beginner and intermediate) or bad mixing.

Im not sure yet, but I figured I would narrow it down.

So are stock sound cards really all that bad? If so, what is a ideal PC or Mac for audio production? Im not really worried about cost, I would just really like to know if a PC or MAC would be better for recording. Im not very fluent with Apple Mac's so are they good for recording stock? Or do you still have to get good custom pcs or macs? What kind of software and or computer do they use in the major studios?

Thanks for taking to time to read this...

Also head over to my myspace (link in signature below) to hear some of them, and you will see right away the difference between those well done studio songs and mine.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert

Room treatment. It's next to do on my list, after reading everything on this wonderful forum. I guarantee that this will be suggested by nearly everyone else that posts here.

Room treatment is probably a good suggestion.

Another thing I'd note is that most professional albums are recorded with more than one mic. Different mics are good for different types of sounds---LDCs or ribbons for voice, SDCs or ribbons for instruments, sometimes tube mics for voice, etc. What are you recording with that 990 instrument-wise?

Regarding the Mac vs. PC question, I'd say that no computer is particularly great for recording with the built-in sound hardware, but since you have the Lexicon interface, you should be in good shape there. You're not using the stock sound hardware if you're using that for your inputs and outputs. You shouldn't need any sort of custom PC for audio work, generally speaking, just a decent audio interface (which you seem to have, assuming the Lexicon is decent---I know pretty much zero about their products).

A lot of what you're experiencing may also have to do with microphone placement. Getting the mic placement right can be tricky, and even an inch difference in placement can cause a huge change in the sound (particularly with woodwind instruments up close, but to some degree even with guitar, voice, or even jackhammer). Also, never underestimate the power of a few small EQ tweaks in exactly the right places, nor the importance of starting with decent instruments, guitar strings that sound good, properly tuned drum heads, etc. Mics sometimes can bring out the worst aspects of an instrument or voice, particularly if the mic is not a good match for that instrument/voice. :)

Another thing I'd note is that most professional albums are recorded with more than one mic. Different mics are good for different types of sounds---LDCs or ribbons for voice, SDCs or ribbons for instruments, sometimes tube mics for voice, etc.

This is an excellent point. I hope to learn which mics to use when and when when I get out of college... when...

DG is right, no mic is a one trick pony, get a few different mics and use what works best for the material you're trying to record. :)

...since you have the Lexicon interface, you should be in good shape there. You're not using the stock sound hardware if you're using that for your inputs and outputs.
...assuming the Lexicon is decent---I know pretty much zero about their products).
The budget Lex units have decent converters, but the preamps are very limiting. (I was able to confirm today that Lexicon is switching over to dbx preamps in their new units, but that doesn't help our friend here...)

My $.02? Four tasks in order of importance:
1. Acoustic Treatment (already been said, but can't be said enough)
2. Practice
3. 2nd Mic - something with a different character than your 990. The 990 is a decent all-around, but as was previously stated, you don't want everything to sound the same. Do not run out and buy another $100 LDC - they're all sounding so similar. Opt for something different but still useful - a Sterling ST31 or even a Shure SM57 or 58.
4. Upgrade the preamp - your Lexicon is fine for turing analog into digital, but eventually you'll need more than the mic preamps can offer. The mic pre is a tough pick, because its so subjective. If you're on a shoestring budget, even picking up a used Mackie 1202VLZ and running its direct outs into the analog inputs on the Lex will be an improvement. Or be patient, save the dough, and buy one nice channel of mic pre.

Posts some of your tunes in the MP3 Clinic asking for the very thing you asked here. Let people hear what you've got and tell them what you would like it to be.

Without hearing anything, all anyone can do is make general comments. But dgatwood's general comments were very good. The room, mic placement, then the mix. You've got an interface that can give you good results and it doesn't matter what kind of computer you have as long it has the specs to run your DAW.

peace.

Back