Is it just me

notCardio

I walk the line
or is every single person on TV lately using an SM7? Has Shure gone on some kind of product placement marketing blitz?

Used to be you'd see a LOT more RE20s.

What's the deal?

I dont watch much podcasts but the SM7 has been around a long time, maybe we just notice mics more? but YES SM7b and Re20 seem to be the most common. SM7b is a battle tank tough part, its luckily fairly cheap and like the SM57 , 58 is amazing. The RE20 is often chrome or gold plated when I see it on Sports casts these days , but its got its market share.

I think theres the "big boy pants" too with the SM7 that is a sales point, versus having a SM58 on the stand in fornt of a desk speaker.
A SM58 would work pretty well and sound nearly identical for $99. But would it look "pro"?

Nuemann makes the type mic but I guess it didnt take off or replace anyone....they hold the LDC top position with everyone and their brother trying to make a clone of it in some way it seems. Its funny how some lock in their "spot" in the mic world but cant do much else when they try to expand.

MXL has the $69-$99 one that really didnt sound that bad to me if you had the gain and never moved, it was actually quieter and had some nice sparkle in the highs.....but its always to be compared to the SM7b and RE20. (which MXL had in mind I think in the design)

Ive probably had the SM7b 4 or 5 times...sell it buy it sell it trade it buy it....I think my first was $225, new was around $275..$300...used could get to $175 because I suspect some people would plug the SM7b in ....a say YUUUKKK!??? WTF????? and dump it. lol

They're 'in' at the moment because they look good. That's it. They're weird and different and look cool. In most media with pictures, sound comes from perfecty acceptable lavs. An RE20 or an SM7B are huge mics - so using one in vision is a coolness decision, not an audio one!

Yeah I'd say it's more of a monkey see monkey do kind of thing...well if XYZ is using it , it's got to be the best...silly monkey's... ;)

Game streamers have definitely contributed to the SM7B craze over the last several years. People start a streaming channel and mimic their influences like we all do with musical influences. I see them on a lot of video podcasts as well. I think they're a terrible choice for any video medium. They're just a big black dot obscuring the face of the speaker, which drives me nuts. Same for anybody close-miking with an LDC and a big, giant pop filter. Great for audio, a bad choice for video in my opinion.

Then once so many people started seeing and recognizing the SM7B from video personalities, it suddenly became the must-have mic. I see so much fanboy-ism over it in the Facebook groups, some people just have an irrational love of it as a be-all end-all mic for every situation. I mean, from what I can tell, it's a good mic. It's well-built, and it's really good at performing its intended purpose. But jeez, some people are convinced it's the greatest thing ever and won't shut up about it :)

I came *this* close to getting one a few months ago, just to see what all the commotion was about. I ended up spending that money elsewhere, but I'll probably buy one someday just out of sheer curiosity.

yeah I was the same....reading etc..and the SM7b was never really the # 1 mic in the studio articles but it was used and in mic lockers almost everywhere , even by the pro's. so curious.. grabbed one as a "noisy room mic".... It was horrible, no output etc....then the senior people said "oh yeah man you need a preamp!! with LOTS of gain!" and I thought what? more $$$$$.

I never thought of it as a "bling" mic to impress anyone visually...lol thats funny, its definitely noticeable.

Well, I've got one, had it for several years, and I like it. And IMO I wouldn't put it in the same vein at all as the 58, which I'm not a big fan of. But to each their own.

My point was that you used to see the vast majority of on-air types using re20s. You'd see the occaisional SM7, but mostly they were recording studio mics.

Now all I see are SM7s. Just wondering if Shure was up to some kind of marketing ploy where they give SM7s to 'influencers'.

MXL BCD1.

Maybe there is a Shure marketing thing competition going on or is it herd mentality? like a fad...where everyone's changing their hair style or beard cuts or bell bottom jeans to tight leg. ..from RE20 to SM7b... I never really noticed years ago, but I do these days.

It seems like a relatively recent thing. Maybe it's just coincided with the proliferation of podcasters.

Did the MXL require the same amount of gain as the SM7? What pre did you use on yours when you didn't like it?

It seems like a relatively recent thing. Maybe it's just coincided with the proliferation of podcasters.

Did the MXL require the same amount of gain as the SM7? What pre did you use on yours when you didn't like it?
The MXL has a sensitivity of 2mV/Pa whereas the 7B has 1.2. So it should require less gain than the 7B. Less gain than a 57 actually.

Cannot say I have noticed the 7b much in UK TV but than I don't watch much sport save snooker!
The proliferation of such a feeble mic could also be helped by the relatively cheap inline boosters such as the FetHead we now have. I have one and it lifts a Behrry 8500 (C 2mV/Pa) very nicely.

Dave.

Perhaps this is just a cross-Atlantic difference in semantics, but I wouldn't call it a 'feeble' mic. Just not high output is all.

Perhaps this is just a cross-Atlantic difference in semantics, but I wouldn't call it a 'feeble' mic. Just not high output is all.
Oh dear! Yes! I can see how the term "feeble" might come across as derogatory to our colonial cousins! Seems a slight against one of their most famous microphone companies? Let me say at once that I would LOVE a 7b? At least I would like my son to try one on classical guitar. He uses an SM57 and a Mackie LDC on it at the moment and has always liked the 57 but of course struggles for level. I have the Fet Head I must send him.

So, sorry chaps.NO slight intended.

Dave.

Back