Is it just me? Or......

CGibson

KRK Monitors????????

I just tried the KRK V4's head to head with my Yamaha MSP5's

I wanted to hate the KRK's due to the fact I have no extra cash and I love my MSP5's more than anything I've ever tried in my studio.

I'm wondering if anybody has done an A B with these two monitors sets, because the KRK's either sounded better in my listening environment or they just plane blew away the Yamaha's.

They actually have a tighter bottom end and more definition in the low mid area.

If you haven't done the big soot out I’d still like to know
your thoughts in general on the KRK's

Oh my God.....here I go again!
Why did I try these things??????

C

Last edited:
Hello...Hello...Hello...is anybody out there?....................

KRK's ?

I'm starting to feel all alone.

C

I have not demo'd the KRK, but the general feedback on the board is tepid at best. If you can believe the hype, Wharfdale and Yorkville supposedly have the best bang-for-buck ratio going. I think I just might bite on the Wharfdales... if they fail to impress, I'll just move them onto the living room stereo...

wheelema said:
I have not demo'd the KRK, but the general feedback on the board is tepid at best. If you can believe the hype, Wharfdale and Yorkville supposedly have the best bang-for-buck ratio going. I think I just might bite on the Wharfdales... if they fail to impress, I'll just move them onto the living room stereo...

It's funny how many studio monitors find their way to the home stereo system.
Just about everybody I know with a pro or home studio
has a pair on the shelf.
I'll bet there are more Alesis Monitor Ones in home stereo use than there are Monitor Ones in studio use. ha ha

I'll have to give those two a try one of these days.
But I think I'll add the KRK's to the room anyway just because they sounded so darn nice.

C

When I was monitor shopping a few years back, I was comparing KRK V8s to the Mackies, the Yamaha MSPs, Tannoys - all the others that were available at the time. The KRKs blew them all out of the water - at least to my ears.

Much later on, I heard Adam S3s at a colleague's studio, and was blown away by them, so I had to upgrade the KRKs that I loved for a pair of Adam S2s... I liked the KRKs a lot - but I absolutely *love* the Adams!

Blue Bear Sound said:
When I was monitor shopping a few years back, I was comparing KRK V8s to the Mackies, the Yamaha MSPs, Tannoys - all the others that were available at the time. The KRKs blew them all out of the water - at least to my ears.

Much later on, I heard Adam S3s at a colleague's studio, and was blown away by them, so I had to upgrade the KRKs that I loved for a pair of Adam S2s... I liked the KRKs a lot - but I absolutely *love* the Adams!

Hey again Blue Bear.
That sure is a bunch of good monitors that got blown away by the KRK's.

It's always nice to hear other opinions especially if the reinforce your thinking. I was also overwhelmed by the sound of the KRK's.

I'm going to add them to the collection very soon and on your recommendation I'll try the Adams.

I'm also getting closer to switching over to the HD24.
Are you currently using the Fireport 1394?
If so what are thoughts on this piece.
It looks exactly like what I need but I want to hear from a few users before I buy.

Thanks guy

C

The Fireport is seriously useful........ it makes transfers to/from my daw a breeze - and very fast too!

The HD24 is a good machine - good sounding - reliable -- the only downside is lack of a specific remote... the BRC only goes so far with it....

Hi, I guess I will throw my 2 cents in... I recently was monitor shopping with a friend who was setting us a project studio. He was looking for a good set for less than $1000 CAD. I own the Mackie HR824, so I admit I am a little biased. We tried a large range of models. And I agree the Adams kicked some serious butt, but the KRK RP-8 is what he went with. They truly are a nice monitor. We took his new monitors to my studio, and did an A/B test, trying to be as objective as possible. Keep in mind we design electronics for living. We broke out the frequency and dB meters (yes I know we are geeks). What we found was that our ears did not lie. The KRK RP-8 do not have a clear low-end response compared to my Mackies, but the upper mids are clear and brighter than the Mackies. However my question was how is possible that both these monitors claim to have a flat frequency response (within + or -1.5dB), and sound so different?

Well we had to answer this by testing each speaker in a sealed heavily damped amp box. We put in the frequency meter microphone (a flat (19-25kHz) small condenser) in the amp box about 1.5 feet away from each speaker and as centered as possible. Then we injected white noise, pink noise and sweep frequencies into the monitor and measured the frequency response. The end result was neither monitor was truly flat within (1.5dB). But the KRK's RP-8 were actually boosted by at least 3dB in the 1k to 8k range. And the Mackies generally ok with + or - 2dB, with a bit of an boost at the low end.

Keep in mind our tests were by no means perfect, and if we were to repeat the tests a few more times, and improve our overall set up our findings might mean more.

One more note, then I will stop rambling. I was really impressed with the gain of the KRKs. When I turned the knob at the back and cranked the gain, the monitor did not hiss, if I do that on Mackies, they buzz like crazy. And the little trim pot on the Mackies is hard to adjust accurately, it took me a few hours with a dB meter to get the levels set so I get 85dB in the sweet spot with out hiss. Anyways, I really like the KRKs but for time being I will stick to my Mackies. At least until I can afford Adams or Genelec.

TLS said:
The KRK RP-8 do not have a clear low-end response compared to my Mackies, but the upper mids are clear and brighter than the Mackies. However my question was how is possible that both these monitors claim to have a flat frequency response (within + or -1.5dB), and sound so different?
Whoever said they were "flat"? Maybe in an anechonic chamber with high-end test gear, but even in a great room no monitor will be "flat"..........

Actually their spec sheets do, and I agree nothing is ever flat. But audio companies sure like to say they are.
Oh and Nice Studio by the Way, really like your Website!

Last edited:
Back