Is it hard to train your voice to sing?

SeeingRed

Well simple really I want to make my voice decent, is it imposible to teach myself? If it is do singing lessons actually work?

1) No - I've never had any formal training and I sing okay IMHO (check my link for examples) just learned by singing cover tunes.

2) Yes - formal singing lessons can speed up the process and give you all the right things to do. It can also help increase your vocal range.

Of course you have to have some talent and not be tone deaf.

Well simple really I want to make my voice decent, is it imposible to teach myself? If it is do singing lessons actually work?
Can you actually sing at all or are you starting literally from a voice that's a shocker ? A shocker even to someone deaf ?

Not many people are actually tone deaf, most just have to learn to listen to themselves. Yes, you can learn to sing. There's more to it than just hitting the notes though, it's about getting the emotion, story-telling, rhythm, etc and making the listener feel the song.

One of the cool things about having your own recording set up is the chance to practice and get immediate feedback. Sing along with songs you know and record just your voice. Listen to the playback of just yourself. Figure out what you did wrong and make adjustments, then try again.

There are many vocal lessons on youtube, search for them and check them out.

have fun,

In all honesty, I think the overwhelming majority of people can sing, but most are lazy singers, not because of anything negative but simply because there's no real reason to work on one's voice unless you're going to do 'something' with it which most aren't. Alot of singers that go far do so because of the work they put in, not necesarilly because they are more naturally gifted than most. It's one of those curious things ~ I've never met a person that doesn't like music and, apart from one or two notable exceptions, one that can't sing.

Most everybody can become at least an ok singer, good enough to be "functional" at gigs. Basically if you sing in tune and in time, sing the right words, choose good songs and put feeling into it... you're a singer.

I found Seth Riggs approach very helpful. He's got a few videos on YouTube (not that many I've found that were that great) but mainly he has some books with CD's that you can find on eBay.

Learning some good breathing techniques helps a lot.

Mainly what you need to do is get accurate info, like from a teacher or book and tapes... plus copy a whole bunch of people you like. The way we learn almost everything is by copying people who can already do stuff. Your own style can't help but come through.

Choosing songs that are good for you is real important too.

I once heard a classically-trained musician say that musicians are really just small-muscle atheletes. Whether we are musicians or atheletes, or both, one's voice is at least as important as one's guitar or one's legs, so it follows that it demands and deserves proper training.

One can teach one's self to sing, or to sing better, but that's true of any activity. The reason we pay an expert to help us along that path is because said expert is either better at it than we are, or because we recognize that we can progress faster, or both.

Spent wisely, voice lessons, nay, any and all lessons, is money well invested.

Well most people can learn to sing .......... not all are blessed with a great tone. Vocal lessons can certainly help develope technique to maximize whatever vocal skills a person may have ........ but if the instrument is not a great instrument lessons can not make it a great instrument.

As someone else indicated, many people may be able to get good enough to sing a few songs in a band .............. but few may be able to work as a demo singer, etc.

I've always used the analogy of comparing a Casio consumer keyboard to a concernt grand piano. The Casio can create sounds that sound somewhat like a piano ......... but no matter how much you try to treak the Casio, add effects or take lessons ......... it simply can not sound like a grand piano.

Just as everyone else says:
you don't need lessons to learn to sing C:
I recomnd learning some covers: go to YouTube and find some songs you like hat has easy pitches and fairly slow singing C: then do a cover of t! It's easier to stay in tune if you can match your voice with someone else ^^ one bad thing about his though isthat if you turn up the musictoo high, you Kay not realize hat you are out of tune because you think the person you are covering for is matched with you C: personal experience...

Another thing- ou can buy a simple violin tuner and sing out some notes- try to hold these out for as long as you can and try to stay in tune acording to the tuner! This helps longer breaths and intonation C;
or you can do he basic piano- hold a note on the piano- middle C works best for me- and try to match your voice C:
all these tips are thouse that I learned from y brother ^^

Here's the most important part that hasn't been touched on yet.

What do you plan on singing and for what?

If you want to be able to sing a song to some family / friends while playing the guitar / piano - go for it. There are plenty of resources and there's great advice from all the guys up there ^.

If you want to perform or sing in a band - I issue this warning: There are TONS and TONS and TONS of bands out there and most of them have mediocre singers. I've played so many shows with bands where the music is good or great and being played tight; however, because the singer is just "meh", the band is nothing special. I especially think this happens when musicians get together and focus all their time on the music, and just think of the singing as an afterthought and one of the guys in the band steps up to the mic out of necessity. If your voice isn't at the "decent" level, don't waste your time singing with a band. Friends will say, "great job tonight man" as they help you pull some amps off the stage... but they are lying!

I can barely sing. Add whiskey, and I'm Kris Kristofferson. At least until I sober up...

One Day I hope to learn to sing. For now, I just have fun.

i'm a trained singer. when i teach voice to youngsters in the classroom i always tell them sing all the words of the songs, open their mouths when they sing and don't scream. singing and screaming don't go together. although some rock seems to me is being screamed, i think that people tend to try and develop their voice quickly and cream to show more power in their voice. untrained/unused voices ususally don't have a lot of power. my best singers in the classroom are the students that sing a lot at home, perhaps mom likes to sing and the child sings along with mom, or the child sings a lot in church. the singing gets better as the child sings more and more.

the adult singer needs to follow the above mentioned guidelines and also find many ways to sing. i personally think that singing along with recordings is not good, but perhaps if its play soft enough its good.

when i teach voice privately, especially before all this readily available recording devices, (yeap, i'm that old!) i would stand my students in front of the corner of the room they were singing. (like when you get punished and sent to the corner). i would also ask them to cup their ears and sing. in that position you get to hear your own voice. it is true that no matter how much you try your voice is like the color of your eyes you can't change it. many people have done a lot with very little voice. its how you use it that matters.

hope this helps someone.

sirena del mar

Just don't be afraid to "put it out there". Project your voice, don't hide behind the instruments. Sing with conviction and passion! I've jammed with many singers who have potential but don't inspire anyone. Your audience should see that you mean what you are saying. They will grow bored of you and your band if it's not "believable".

Work out your good keys...I used to think that I would be able to play a guitar song in any old key and sing it...but that's not quite realistic in my case...I need to sing around your F sharps, B's and E's...those kind of chords...and that's just to avoid a complete train wreck. The train is still fucked but not everybody onboard is dead.

Back