Is it common for drummers to record to a click track?

It certainly helps if the drummer can't keep time throughout a song. Also pretty helpful for tempo changes... a click every beat sounds about right to me

Having recorded both ways (from a drummer's perspective here) I would most definitely recommend recording to a click track if you are looking for a tight recording.
Of course, it depends on a few things:
the type of music (jazz, blues, ska...you can more easily get away with no click),
it depends on the musicians in the band (how is everyone's timing?)
And most of all, how good is the drummer at playing with a click track? :eek:
If he/she can't play exactly on beat without sacrificing the "feel" of their playing, maybe it's not worth it.
Personally, when I record I like to double-time the click so it has beats on the "and" as well (For example, for a song at the standard 60 bpm, I record to a click track set at 120). This is MUCH easier to play along with for me and my band...because we leave the click for everyone to hear while recording for a much tighter end product.
(utah bites)

This is a topic that gets people really bent out of shape. Seriously!

However, my opinion is that anyone who doesn't think playing to a click is a good idea either a) doesn't have good enough timing to do it or b) hasn't really worked in a studio before.

I've been recording for about 15 years, in an my opinion, clicks are necessary to getting really tight recordings in a multitrack setting, especially in songs with breaks that require everyone to come in at exactly the same time.

If you have the facilities, technique, and equipment to record everyone in the band simultaneously where you can all visually cue off each other, you may be able to get away with not having a click. Other than that, I'd STRONGLY recommend using a click.

If your song changes tempos, it's a simple matter with almost any drum machine to program a click that will change tempos where the song does.

Eighth note clicks are MUCH easier to follow than quarter note clicks in most cases, but if your song's really moving along, eighth note clicks get annoying.

Use something higher pitched like a cowbell or a calave and you'll find it cuts through things better and is more difficult to lose.

Be sure to have the click only as loud as you need it, and also that you have decent sealing headphones or else you'll end up hearing click track picked up by vocal mics, overhead and tom mics, and especially acoustic guitar mics.

If you're (and especially your drummer is) not used to playing with a click, take the time to rehearse with one for a while prior to recording with one. We usually run a drum machine into a channel of the PA at our rehearsal studio and play with a click as a band for about a month before we go into the studio until you stop even hearing the click because it becomes second nature.

Good luck!

CT

yeah, it's always wise to record to a click track. the click setting is up to your drummer. but if the drummer can't keep time, or even more important, you're syncing your multitrack up to a sequencer, then the temp should be accurate. it also helps for more accurate editing in the mixing stages.
-Rox.

I find that the better drummers prefer a click track - I send them a cowbell on fours as it cuts through the cans

Sounds unanamous. As a drummer, I prefer a click. Ussually on the 8th notes. (1&2&3&4&) But different tempos call for diferent settings. Some advice...let's say you have a guitarist rushing his lead. If the click is set at 8th's, try cutting it back to the quarters. He hears the notes coming slower so his brain and fingers will ussually settle right in. This works especially well on quicker tempos. Is somebody dragging? Do just the opposite. Don't take it any faster than 16th's tho. (1e&a 2e&a 3e&a 4e&a)

Yup, like they (all) said. Having the ability to play well to a click also gives you more opportunities as a drummer; sessions, etc. You'd be surprised how many (otherwise) "good" drummers can't do it well though. It also forces other members of the band to follow the time set by the timekeeper (drummer) and not make it up as they go along. Click, click, click...
Mark

It's great that the drummers concurr on this subject - in the late seventies when the drum machine came out and everyone wanted the drummer to play to a click a lot of drummers slashed their wrists.

I've recorded both ways and prefer to use a click, but the most important reason I do it hasn't been mentioned here. I do all my recording on the computer (Cool Edit Pro) and there are some really cool things you can do if you ensure that your tempo stays *exactly* the same through out the song. I've done things such as taking 3-part backing vocals from a first chorus and copying/pasting it onto the rest of the choruses just to save time, cutting large passages right out of the middle of the song, cutting and moving parts of the song around to try new arrangements, etc, etc. No drummer is perfect, and this stuff is only possible to do seamlessly if your tempo is 100% consistent.

That´s right Diragor.
When I moved to computer based recording (cubase on a mac) it was obvious to use a click. I´ve used it before either but it really helps the editing when you see it with bars.
I´ve played with a simple "click" sound but there were sometimes problems to get to the feel of the song. Then we tried it with a loop and it was easy. We did a simple tambourine loop which was 1 bar long. The song we did had this groovy feeling so the tambourine went 8th notes. But it certainly would work with 16th notes as well.
Since that we´ve done all sorts of loops with steel cans and stuff and it´s really easy to play with those.

p.s.
One thing that I´ve noticed is that even if you use a click, do the drums first! Guitar and keyboard players can´t play with a click. =)

I'm a guitar player that is able to play with a click

Please, no guitat player bashing. Believe me, guitar players have much more ammo for drummers.
davem

Yep. You´re right dave.
It´s really just that one time I´ve had that kind of situation. More often we´ve had no trouble playing guitars first.
But I think it´s propably a more used way to do the drums first...

¤peace¤

yep I reckon all musos should learn to play with a click - until you play with a click consistently you don't really know what good timing is - I now play to a click but don't quantise cos my timing is now sort of up to scratch and little pushes in the time here and there are a good thing for the feel.

cheers

Click track my ass...

If the band is tight enough then record without the click. Sure the click keeps it all nice and neat, however, remember that some of the most important albums of all time were recorded without a click. There's an energy you get between the players that is like a finger print every time you play a song together. It's never happens that way again twice. That's why Thelonious Monk never did more than two takes. It's kind of hard to find a spiritual connection with another player who did his tracks sometime last week. If you're making commercial MTV music then use the click. I'm certain all the 14 year olds in the band will need it. However, if the musicianship of your band members looks something like this:

Elton John – piano
Dee Murray – bass
Davey Johnstone – electric guitar
Nigel Olsson – drums
David Hentschel – A.R.P. synthesizer

then don't sacrifice the magic just to appease the engineer's OCD. That's what it's really about after all, isn't it? Capturing the magic?

Ani DiFranco put it best:

people used to make records
as in a record of an event
the event of people playing music in a room
now everything is cross-marketing
it's about sunglasses and shoes
or guns and drugs you choose

this has to rank up there...

i can't make the official proclamation being so new, but that has to rank with the top ten best first timer posts. i don't mean to be negative or anything, but thats funny. anyway perhaps a veteran should start a thread with the best first timer posts, though that may be somewhat discouraging if urs gets posted (one of mine prolly will, but i can laugh about it), and everyone can dig up funny first posts... just an idea.

As far as digging up old threads goes, this must win some kind of prize.

If you had waited until January next year, you could say you successfully dragged up a thread from the previous decade ;)

And yes, click tracks make the world go round.

What's funny is that you have to seek out an ancient thread like this to post in it. Dude didn't just stumble across it and decide to post that rambling bullshit to be helpful.

Back