Is it best to write the music first or the lyrics?

I usually figure out the music first, get a couple of riffs and then try to structure them into a song. Then I do the lyrics and try to fit them to the music. I probably figure out music first because I'm guitar player above all and its just what I gravitate to. But the most important word in all of this is "I", because this is what "I" do. This is what I have found works best for me. Everyone writes songs differently. You'll find your method sooner or later.

Good Luck.

My ideas is that it would be better if the lyrics comes first before the music, because in that way you can adjust the music for it the fit with the lyrics.

The Manic Street Preachers (remember them anyone in the UK?) always write the lyrics before the music, as they have a confusing situation where the bass player writes all the lyrics, and then gives them to the singer, who writes the music. Sometimes the lyrics don't fit and the lines don't start and end where they're supposed to, which can actually produce some interesting melodies.

Take it from me, lol, it's best to do both simultaneously. If that's a bit too much, I recommend you making the beats first, then writing the lyrics...at least with your lyrics written after, you'd have a bit more control over the song.

It's funny reading this post, as from the git-go it seems that most replying already know the answer - different strokes for different folks and different ways for different days. That being said, if it's a hook or melody snippet, or even rhythm, I'll probably approach from the music first. If it's and idea, concept, rhyme or verbal image, I will probably approach from the lyrics first. Then again there are those rare days when the lyrics and music just fall from the sky and penetrate your brain simultaniously and chaos reigns. Then it's a free-for-all...

Personally for me I tried it different ways but I like to write both music and lyrics together as they should inspire each other. But then again unfortunately I don't collaborate very often

WHICHEVER WORKS FOR YOU!
The Manics are a pefect example of how one way works for one songwriting combo & the "works" produces some difference from the mainstream on occasion. That's a GREAT thing.
Bowie did all sorts of things.
Roxy we given the backing draft music, recorded it & at the last minute Ferry would come in with a set of lyrics and melody. It worked for them fairly often.
Do you put an oil spread on your toast when it's still hot, warm or cold? That's a matter of taste (literally), learning and time constraints but varies slightly for each toast muncher - me, I'm an extremist - I don't put any oil (vegetable or animal) on the toast but I put my chosen spread on quickly so that I can eat the stuff whilst it's still warm.
Any one telling other people that they have THE way of doing it obviously lives in a biosphere solely populated by themselves an their ego. We each have our preferred ways, our more successful ways and our occasions when working outside our normal constraints has been successful.
DEclan McManus wrote his vitriolic stuff on guitar but having developed some facility with the piano began writing on that & began creating more contemplative, rich and melodic stuff - he had also passed the point of splenetics for their own sake.
Jimmi Hendrix jotted down words and lyrical ideas all the time and would often pull them out when he has something that suited them.

I would say the lyrics first also... but i have also done it with the music first and the lyrics came as result of the music..

It's always different. Sometimes you'll write lyrics first... then the music will serve the lyrics. Sometimes it's the opposite, you'll write a cool guitar lick and will want to sing over it. There are truly no better ways.

The chicken or the egg

My humble thoughts on this as mixed. I am always writing snippets of lyrics down and then attempt to put them together to create a song. The riffs and music often come from the lyrics. However other times I can be just mucking around on the guitar or even the bass and find a little phrase that just wants to be put into something.

So what ever floats your boat.
The key is to put your ideas down on something and then revisit them.

Hope that helps

ciao
BronwynH :confused:

Since I can't write lyrics (permanent writer's block), I either start with a chord progression or a melody. If I had to start with lyrics - excepting words already written such as Baha'i scripture - I'd never write music. Thank God, there are so many approaches.

First of all, Pashmee, there is no such thing as permanent writer's block. Writer's block can always be overcome. You just have to apply a few tricks and have the desire to do so.

As for lyrics or music first, I personally have worked with a lot of bands over the years and I got to see many different approaches to writing music. In one band the singer would write lyrics and a melody, bring it to the band and sing it, then the guitarist would flesh out the chords. Another band would all write together, just jamming until something came out, with the singer scribbling lyrics as they came to him. Another songwriter I know would just record himself jamming for a half hour on whatever intstrument he chose, then go back and listen to the tape, picking out parts he could use. Etc, etc, etc... The point is, I took note of all these different approaches and classified them in my mind. Now when I sit down to write a song, I'll just choose a method that I've classified. This gives each song I write a unique flavor.

It depends on the person obviously. We're all different, personally I write a song and sing random words while making the melody. When that's done, I will just sing whatever comes to my mind and record, eventually i'll stick to something and change it on paper to make it better

I'm not sure what's best, but I usually write the music first and the lyrics just flow afterwards. I have lots of friends though, who are primarily signers/songwriters who will write the lyrics first with a beat or cadence in mind and then later meet up with musicians to write the music.

Back