Is IK MULTIMEDIAS T-RACKS S GOOD AS THEY CLAIM?

free_d20

well, i just got this little package that cost me a little fortune, and ive tried it in a couple of songs. i do notice an improvement in the sound, yet im not sure if it can compare to a real mastering equipment. maybe its just the presets that suck (i´ve only used the presets, im a lazy bastard).
so, in the end, anybody who has USED this package knows how this software adds up?

It really is.

Seriously.

I tried it and I was amazed.

All you have to do to get a professional sounding master is to just run it through one of those plugins. Crap goes in > beautiful sound comes out. You don't even have to fiddle with it.

You're right on the money with the Presets strategy. It's got one of those "good" knobs on it. Put that one in the "on" position. Just be careful and make sure you disengage the "suck" button. That's kind of where a lot of people mess things up. As long as you follow those two very important steps carefully, though, you should be fine.

T-Racks is a toy, pure and simple. It does not compare to real mastering in any way. Out of all the software "mastering" tools I've seen, this one is at the bottom of the barrel.

Ive been using T-RackS for a while now and its very useful.

I use it as a ref disc generator for bands in the Nu-metal Genre. After Im done with the mix, I can slam it in T-RackS and they can play it in thier boombox or whatever and it sounds exactly like Vlad the impaler. Clients go away with something loud and crushed with no effort on my part and the mastering house gets a good mix. Band comes back and says mine was better... I tell them my converters are going bad ;)
Seriously.
It does have a character that I like on some songs. The big problem, most users don't have the experience to know what genre typically requires what preset. Unless you have used a Vari-mu....its unlikey you'll understand tweaking it. Its a useful toy to a certain degree but in now way reflects typical workflow in making a premaster. Your better off (IMO) learning how to use the dynamic processors that come with your multitrack software and mixing it right. When it comes to PC or MAC based editing, if you have mastering type plugs...use them on your mixing as well. Sometimes fast and nasy is what the doctor ordered. Sometimes ;)

SoMm

Disclaimer: I'm a Newbie, I record strictly for fun, and have never had anything professionally mastered. So anything I say may need to be taken with a grain of salt...

I use the T-RackS program (not the plug-in version) and have found a couple of presets that sound good with very little tweaking. I think Vintage 1 and Vintage 2 are among them. Many of the presets don't sound so good, so I don't use them...

It has certainly helped me increase the overall volume of my mixes to be close to a commercial CD, without adding any apparent negative color to the sound. It's easy to use for someone who, like me, doesn't have much of a clue, and who would have difficulty using higher-end mastering equipment.

Thinking about it, it's probably people like me that the T-RackS marketing people are targeting!

T-racks really isn't that bad. I think a lot of people are just putting their mixes through it without letting the tubes warm up.

From what I have heard about T-Racks it really seems to depend what genre of music you use it on and how good the recording was in the first place. After all, mastering is no magical wand and it cannot make a poor recording sound amazing.

T-Racks24 vs Ozone @.. ozone 2 all day..
t-racks is ok.. but just doesn't really sound MASTERED to me...

T-RACKS IS AS GOOD AS THEY SAY AND THEN SOME.

It made my sterile, lifeless, harsh, cold, digital tracks sound germ-infested, vibrant, soft, warm, and analog!!!!
!!!
!!
!
!!
!!!
I saved $8,000,000 on mastering last year, and spent the money on a new compund (complete with devout followers) and a bunch of hookers!! ! !!!!! !!!!!!!

"Thank you, IK Multimedia!"

no demofor waves platinum, maybe some others.. but thats what i use Wavelab 4 with waves platinum bundle.. and soon i'll add a firewire powercore and uad-1 to go with

charger said:
T-RACKS IS AS GOOD AS THEY SAY AND THEN SOME.

It made my sterile, lifeless, harsh, cold, digital tracks sound germ-infested, vibrant, soft, warm, and analog!!!!
!!!
!!
!
!!
!!!
I saved $8,000,000 on mastering last year, and spent the money on a new compund (complete with devout followers) and a bunch of hookers!! ! !!!!! !!!!!!!

"Thank you, IK Multimedia!"

Hey now... Your starting to sound like SPAM:p

SoMm

If you want analogue style "mastering" from a native plugin.....forget T-racks.

Get the PSP Vintage Warmer.
I'm serious....this thing has to be heard to be believed.

Saying that,i have never listened to the results of Ozone.....It would be interesting to hear a comparison to VintageWarmer from someone who has both.

Back