Is DMP3 good for vocals?

SappyHad

Hey everyone just looking to buy a dmp3, and was wondering if it is good for vocals, as that is what I will mostly be using it for, plus acoustic guitar.

Any input would be great

Thanks

Eric J.

SappyHad said:
Hey everyone just looking to buy a dmp3, and was wondering if it is good for vocals, as that is what I will mostly be using it for, plus acoustic guitar.

I have yet to use my DMP3 for a lead vocal track (just got it about a month ago), but I have tracked some background vocals with it and it worked really well. It is definitely better than the pres in my cheap behri mixer or those on my Tascam US-122. It has a clean (uncolored) sound which really sounds great on acoustic guitar. I've listened to some good tracks in the Mp3 clinic where the DMP3 was used for vocals and it was pretty clear.

SappyHad said:

Any input would be great

Thanks

Eric J.

The DMP3 is a good low cost pre-amp that will be fine for vocals. It is on par with Allen & Heath mix pre-amps and Soundcraft pre-amps. I have the DMP3 and an Allen & Heath large format console and the sound is so close that I usually just plug into the A&H out of lazyness sometimes. I think you will have no problen with the DMP3.

judeholland said:
Hi Kevin

Your music sounds real good i like the writing!!!

How are you recording this stuff??

jude

Thanks alot Jude.

The stuff up on that soundclick page is actually pretty old. You dressed beautifully was my first effort at recording, using all cheap dynamic mics into a Zoom SIAB.

Land people was recorded by someone else using the same set up.

The others were recorded into Cubase SE via a M-Audio Delta 1010LT card. Preamps- TL Audio, Ivory series and compressor and of course the DMP-3.
Mics I have are all cheapies- MXL 603 (pair, mainly for acoustic guitar), MXL V67G and Studio Projects B1. All the plugs were freebies although I have some voxengo and PSP stuff I've used on the more recent recordings.

There are two of us and we share singing, playing duties. I do all the recording.

The recording side of things needs a lot of improving but I'm glad you like the writing. I'll have to update that page.

Thanks again for the kind words. :)

does the DMP3 only have one phantom power switch for both channels?

that would be a little frustrating as I am considering getting one for recording heavy guitars and wanted to use both my t-bone ribbon mic and studio projects B1 on the cab

hmmmm

boulty said:
does the DMP3 only have one phantom power switch for both channels?

that would be a little frustrating as I am considering getting one for recording heavy guitars and wanted to use both my t-bone ribbon mic and studio projects B1 on the cab

hmmmm
yes, only one switch. that is fairly common among inexpensive preamps (and even many mid-priced ones).

Back