Is cool edit pro really that cool

mattkw80 said:
Wow. Great post / good story.

I use it myself for "post production" type things, like to cut waves, fade in's / fade out's. Normalizing.

Converting Mp3's to Wav's and vice versa.

Why do you convert mp3’s to WAV’s? Or when you do this?

I do it as well but only when I have to.
(When some DVD software wouldn't accept mp3)

Is it possible to get better quality from an mp3 in that way?
I thought, once the file is compressed most of its components is gone for good.

I would appreciate some explanations about this particular issue.
Thanks

chrisharris said:
I'm really famous, and I'm a monster musician, and I use cooledit exclusively.

Okay, only one of the 3 things I just said is true, but regardless, I'd venture to bet that 90% of the edits you hear on the radio are done in cooledit. It's a staple of every radio station I've ever worked with, and there actually have been several.

The reason you hear more about ProTools, in my opinion, is that they aggressively marketed mid-level studios that got scared to death when the digital revolution started. So most "real" studios are ProTools friendly, so most "real" musicians that record outside of the studio use it as well.

Metallica's last album was recorded on ProTools, and it sounds like absolute dogshit, so I put more stock in the process than I do in the processing, pardon the pun.

Good point, but a well produced album will sound better in pro tools than in cool edit. And trust me, theres tons of top radio stations that have pro tools rigs in them.

gasal69 said:
Why do you convert mp3’s to WAV’s? Or when you do this?

I do it as well but only when I have to.
(When some DVD software wouldn't accept mp3)

Is it possible to get better quality from an mp3 in that way?
I thought, once the file is compressed most of its components is gone for good.

I would appreciate some explanations about this particular issue.
Thanks

I only do MP3 to send via email to friends.

As for quality... it's still just MP3.

Thats the only time I will convert my wav's to Mp3, is to make them small to email them, or to put them on peer to peer networks.

oops.... sorry, you were asking as well why I would go the other way... like convert MP3 to wav ?

If I am working on a song with someone, and they only thing they were able to send me was an MP3.... (of say, drums, guitar, a vocal, etc.)

Than I have to convert that Mp3 to a wav so that my vsconsole can 'suck' it in.

I know its not the best for quality, but when working on projects long distance with people, it certainly gets the job done.

(If mp3 is all they can send, it's what I have to work with)

It's fun reading this thread after so many years have passed. I'm still working with CEP2, never updated to Audition when they bought Cool Edit and like other producers I've talked to about this, I'm really glad I didn't. Some friends at the radio station cluster I had worked with before have told me they had nothing but problems after switching from CEP2 to Audition. The creators of CEP2 had a lot of fun building terrific extras into the program, while keeping it user-friendly enough for newbies. I've test-driven plenty of other audio software, but always came back to CEP2. I had the opportunity to talk with one of the software engineers for CEP2 a couple of times - brilliant, funny guy. I thought I had been just imagining things when the "moose" icon popped up on the screen once, and it was a relief to learn they had put some stuff like that in just for fun. Whew. :rolleyes:

Back